Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2009, 03:18 PM   #11 
biokid101

but when they r in those little bowls when they get sold they are fine but in a small place without a heater.and just so everyone knows i am breeding bettas for the very first time so thats why i am asking questions.also i got a 10 gallon tank with a heater and filter. now that we got passed that we can talk about the steps for breeding bettas.what are vertical lines? i have been hearing that females get that what does that mean?also i just read on the place calmwater posted and it said filter not needed but recomended.why isnt my female flaring at the male but the male is flaring at the female?

Last edited by biokid101; 10-14-2009 at 03:26 PM.
biokid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:25 PM   #12 
Calmwaters

Just because they are in those little bowls does not mean it is the right way for them to be. But anyway if you really want to do this here is a link that may help:
http://www.fishforum.com/breeding-be...-bettas-30005/
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:32 PM   #13 
biokid101

thx calmwaters i read it and can i feed the parents frozen blood worms to get them conditioned for breeding?
Old 10-14-2009, 08:00 PM   #14 
Rohland

yes, but you need to find out what you are going to feed the babies. and you are spawning in the 10 gal?
And calwater is right, your two orginial bettas need more room with a heater

edit: sorry the way I look at is, is why are you trying to make more baby fish when you cannot provide the necessities to the ones you already have. Also keep in mind that if your angels spawn. You could find many of their tank mates to be die because of harassment from the angels parents because they will be very territorial. You won't be able to keep the angels and baby bettas in the same tank either.

Last edited by Rohland; 10-14-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:42 AM   #15 
biokid101

i know i have a 10 gal tank with a heater its conditioning now. while i do that i will start conditioning my female and male betta with bloodworms(its the only thing i have here).but im going to the pet store today.what are brine shrimp?do i have to hatch them?what do they come in a bottle or tank?
about my angelfish. u can go read about it in my other thread about angelfish:how can you tell a male and a female angelfish apart?thats the thread

Last edited by biokid101; 10-15-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM   #16 
Rohland

okay well you will need to raise brine shrimp they come in a package. so you will need to jars, and an air pump and salt water.
Old 10-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #17 
biokid101

cant i just get them and put salt in the water each day?cause no money once again.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #18 
Kim

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you have no money to hatch brine shrimp then it will be impossible for you to raise angel, betta, and gourami fry at all. Just raising the angel or gourami fry you will need several hundred dollars worth of tanks minimum, and the bettas can be more expensive because of the need to separate the males into individual HEATED containers. Please, I strongly urge you to do what is right for your fish and focus just on getting the 2 bettas that you have now into suitable homes of 2.5 gallons or larger with a heater. For the record, most, if not all of us that keep bettas absolutely despise the way that they are sold in stores. It is terrible, and I know that I am trying my hardest to only buy from responsible breeders from now on to avoid supporting this industry.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:59 PM   #19 
Rohland

no here is a dyi hatchery.
DIY Brine Shrimp Hatchery

I do know of a certain time after you hatch your shrimp, they will go bad and lose some of their nutrients making them useless to feed to your babies. So you will need to make enough to feed them, without having extras, and without over feeding. You will need an air pump. Maybe you could get a part time job to support your hobby. And once i said you should work and providing your fish with the best homes. Like maybe getting a 5 gal and splitting if for your male and female betta so it can have a filter and a heater. Just a thought. Because it does take a lot of time and money. I know that your excited I wanted to breed everything I had at some point. Still want to breed bettas, but lots of things get in the way, money, space, time, parents ect.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #20 
biokid101

tell me about it parents get in the way all the time but i have 37 dollars and im forgeting about breeding angels and gouramis because they are not mine.they are my moms boyfriends.so for now i am going to focus on getting everything i need to breed bettas.but brine shrimp thats the problem i cant find it anywhere.i looked in stores and asked.how much does brine shrimp cost and do i need an air pump or is that just a thing to help them because onece they hatch they are going right to the fry or parents?