Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-08-2009, 02:18 PM   #221 
biokid101

ok rightn ow i am talking about bettas.
im using freeze dried blood worms and occasionall brineshrimp. im tried to breed my dark male and dark female.but the dark male seems to like my light female better and my light male seems to like my dark female better. r u with me?
thats how far i am right now and the tank is 5 gallon.
when i took the dark female and dark male apart after 3 days he has built another HUGE bubble nest so im hoping this weekend to put them together. maybe its because we r getting a snowstorm that they both built one.
biokid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #222 
Lethbridge

Okay now we are on the same page. Well lets just say since this is your first spawn let your bettas pick who they want to spawn with that way you will get s successful spawn! Okay so if your male is in his 5 gallon tank, and he is making a bubble nest, then add the female in a hurricane globe or whatever you have handy then WAIT roughly about 2 days if she is very barred, and following the male as far as the hurricane globe will let her than release the female and just keep an eye on them but keep back from the tank and let them do there thing. As long as the male has been conditioned he shouldnt eat the fry unles he is a bad father. Hope everything goes well feel free to ask anymore questions
Lethbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:44 PM   #223 
biokid101

ok but how will i know if they r not compatible?
biokid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #224 
Lethbridge

Well if your female is not barred, if she does not follow him as far as she can when she is in the hurricane globe, if she doesnt slightly bow her head to the male, when you release her is she doesnt go under the nest for a few days. Lets just say if i have never come across and male and female that was not compatible but other people have if she is barred and he has a good nest and she has been in the hurricane globe for 2 days then release her the male may chase her away or nip at her etc, but dont take anyone out unless things start getting really bad, like he or she is very ripped up. The fry from this last spawn that i got took 2 days from when the female was released to spawn and the female was totally ripped up but they still spawned so dont worry if it doesnt happen right away.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:56 PM   #225 
kingofburgerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim View Post
I'm not trying to be rude, but if you have no money to hatch brine shrimp then it will be impossible for you to raise angel, betta, and gourami fry at all. Just raising the angel or gourami fry you will need several hundred dollars worth of tanks minimum, and the bettas can be more expensive because of the need to separate the males into individual HEATED containers. Please, I strongly urge you to do what is right for your fish and focus just on getting the 2 bettas that you have now into suitable homes of 2.5 gallons or larger with a heater. For the record, most, if not all of us that keep bettas absolutely despise the way that they are sold in stores. It is terrible, and I know that I am trying my hardest to only buy from responsible breeders from now on to avoid supporting this industry.
I am totaly with you but how can I find breeders in my area?
The only betta i can find are from pets mart ect.
kingofburgerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #226 
Lethbridge

typically you wont find a local breeder as most places dont have one. However you can order one of aquabid and get some high quality stock, and then go from there
Old 12-09-2009, 10:22 AM   #227 
ChristinaRoss

aquabid has amazing quality fish!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:23 AM   #228 
ChristinaRoss

not that i can afford them AND their high shipping (on most) but...........i can dream, lol
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 AM   #229 
dramaqueen
Banned

There are definitely some bettas on there to die for!! lol
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 10:38 AM   #230 
ChristinaRoss

ya there are...............too bad transhipping is outrageous!