Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #21 
Rohland

no you will feed them to the fry. And you will need to continuously feed them at least twice a day with it. Without over feeding because it can lead to swim bladder disorder. You will need an air pump for your spawning tank, a regular filter will not work. And you will need another air pump for your brine shrimp hatcheries. You will also need a syphon to clean the bottom of your tank.

There are some other options of food like microworms but they start with live cultures and you need to grow them and stuff. you could find it online. But i want to stress again that you should provide a better home for your parents first before you begin breeding. save some money gain more knowledge. You can get a 10 gal fish tank from walmart for $40. Then you can split that into 2-3, even 4 if you really needed to push it. And you will only need to buy a heater for it aswell. But you will need to figure something out, because bettas live way longer than you will think when they are given the proper space and warm water. It helps prevent and treat disease.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 PM   #22 
biokid101

i am conditioning my spawning tank now with one filter and a heater. i will put my male in tomorrow cause the fog cleared up and he built a bubble nest in his 1 gal. so i think hes ready.i have 2 dividers so i will split the tank into 3 and put the female in it so she can get eggs i have been feeding her bloodworms.she has gotten slightly bigger around her sides.she looks like my pregnant swordtail.and she has this one white spot under her stomach.i have read that they get that when they are ready for spawning.
biokid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 08:59 PM   #23 
Rohland

well what filter are you using? Also you can split the tank after you done breeding and the babies are gone. but a male, female and babies all split will be a problem. Also you shouldn't bother releasing them unless you have food to feed the babies. Do you have places for the female to hide while she is spawning?
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 AM   #24 
biokid101

im using a sponge filter.i do have places for the female to hide.i have floating plants in it and i just looked in the tank and the male built a bubble nest. i will put the female in later when she is conditioned.whats the white dot under her stomach?
Old 10-16-2009, 11:16 AM   #25 
Rohland

Quote:
Originally Posted by biokid101 View Post
im using a sponge filter.i do have places for the female to hide.i have floating plants in it and i just looked in the tank and the male built a bubble nest. i will put the female in later when she is conditioned.whats the white dot under her stomach?
it has something to do with eggs and a female, maybe an ovipositor. However I believe you missed this part!

YOU NEED TO HAVE FOOD READY AS SOON AS THE BABIES ARE BORN IF NOT THEY WILL STARVE AND DIE!

And just so you know a male can blow bubble nests for various resons.. With stimulation, (ex. seeing a female) or even just being happy a male betta can blow a bubble nest for you. You need to watch them for over 2 hours, and take the female out when she is done. If they are getting too rough with eachother. Nipping a lot of fins, and stuff remove them now. Just to make sure you are breeding in your 10 gal correct? Also is your sponge filter a seasoned sponge? Has it beeen in a tank that has completed its cycle, so it has all the bacteria your aquarium needs. If not you could experience a cycle with your betta fry in the tank. This could probably kill all of your fish.

Just so you know if the sponge was in a seasoned tank,but has since been taken out and dried. The bacteria has died and will need to go through a cycle again.
Old 10-16-2009, 03:19 PM   #26 
biokid101

yes i am breeding in my 10 gal and dont worry i will not put her in unless i get food im smartical! anyway today he blew more bubbles but they are all over the place. i bet he built it cause hes healthy and happy or he saw the female. he built it a couple of times b4 i got the female.speaking of the female she is bloated today.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:41 PM   #27 
Rohland

Okay, personally I would stop conditioning them. Because you dont have food. So the male will just keep blowing a bubble nest and the female will keep making eggs. Until she cannot hold it anymore. Then she either needs them squeezed out by a male, or she will absorb them back into her body. However there has been a few cases where this has killed a female betta. Also your male could be getting tired from making so many bubbles, because he is probably guarding his nest as well. I would just seperate them from view, until you get live food for the babies and condition again.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #28 
biokid101

WAAA i got live food today!!!!!! and my female is big i fed them some cause they hatched right away about 12 hrs later the brine shrimp hatched.i bought them yesterday and they hatched this morning. i put them together today but my female was not interested im so upset i wanted them to mate.it would have been cool.then i seperated them cause i had to go somewhere.then when i came back i put them together again and my male was biting her but she was just going crazy.she got the darkest stripes on her. she looked like the amreican flag stripes!!she wasnt interested and neither was he im upset what should i do?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #29 
biokid101

do male bettas have to have a cover or tight spot to make a bubble nest?
Old 10-17-2009, 10:08 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

No, they don't absolutely have to have something to build a bubblenest under but it helps the male to have something to build it under. The white thing on the female's belly is called an ovipositor and it's where the eggs are released from. Horizontal stripes are stress stripes. Your female isn't ready to breed. Putting a female that is NOT ready to breed with a male can be very dangerous to the female.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote