Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #41 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think the brine shrimp need to be newly hatched. I would advise having separate containers for the male and female and letting the babies have the whole 10 gallon.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:44 AM   #42 
biokid101

well aparently containers are bad for fish according to people.dont worry i still have some brine shrimp cysts left i can put in water after the babies are hanging from the bubble nest. ok my female is really slow.i dont like her personality.shes stubborn and doesnt want to mate.i kept them together over night and nothing she just lays at the bottom of the tank like nothing is happening.when the male aprroaches her he flares then he starts to wiggle then she runs away.she has vertical stripes. i changed some of the water to make him build a bubble nest but nothing!
biokid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 AM   #43 
dramaqueen
Banned

Biokid, I sent you a pm.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:48 PM   #44 
biokid101

ok i got it and i replied.i had my female and male stay together for the night and while i was at school shes ok. my male has a really calm personality hes not territorial to females.but to males YES.still no bubble nests but there were bubbles along the edges of the tank built together but thats it.im just gonna get another female matbe and condition her.i took my female out and im going to recondition her for a little bit.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #45 
dramaqueen
Banned

Good idea. I would recondition both of them. If he still won't make a nest then can you get another male?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:29 PM   #46 
biokid101

ill hvae to leave him in a bowl and wait until christmas to breed em.but i dont know if i can wait that long to tell u the truth lol.maybe i can get another pair what do u think?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:42 PM   #47 
molliefan09

you know i admire you for being so into your fish and breeding.....but patience truely is a virtue. Being able to breed your fish and have a successful outcome will be one of you biggest feats thus far.....if you want to make sure it is as successfull as possible just hang tight!! Christmas isnt that far away....only 9 weeks to be exact.....and it will be worth the wait. If you attempt this now and fail (example: you loose all the fry or one of your bettas is killed) you will beat youself up over it and have wished you waited until you had EVERYTHING you needed. I know you are doing the best you can with what you have and what you are able to get....just be patient you will be glad you did.
molliefan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 PM   #48 
biokid101

if i didnt want 300 babies,when they hatch can i let some be eaten so i dont have to get about a 100 jars or does that mean im mean?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:26 PM   #49 
Rohland

Killing your offspring is known as culling. Very sensitive subject. Personally I wouldn't breed unless you were able to take care of all of the babies. Most people get close to 100, but on this forum at least nobody has gotten past that I think. Also if you were to seperate the babies, it could be something simple as cups in a big plastic bin, filled with water, you could keep the males in the cups, and the peaceful females just in the bin, you will have to heat the bin though with a heater. Also the cups water will need to be changed everday.
Rohland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:36 PM   #50 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can control the amount of fry you have by removing the female after just a couple of embraces so there won't be as many eggs. Also, you can VERY GENTLY remove eggs from the nest with a clean plastic spoon when you remove the female. That way you can remove eggs before they have a chance to develop into baby fish.