Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #1 
Ramla

Sand vs. Gravel

So I've been looking around at the various tanks that people have posted around the site and I have noticed that quite a few of the tanks with live plants planted into the substrate use sand. But gravel is what I have currently

So curious is there a better substrate between the two?
Ramla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:45 PM   #2 
Paolo Osorio

For plants I wouldn't go this route, but I personally only use bare bottom tanks. Easy-peasy lemon-squeezy to clean.
Paolo Osorio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:35 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I don't think there's either is "better" unless you have Cories where sand is preferred because it's gentler on their barbels. It's more a preference.

I have and prefer sand over gravel because all the gunk stays on top of the substrate so it's easier to vacuum. Just hover the vacuum/tube over the sand; don't put down in it like you do with gravel.

I find sand easier to plant and my plants seem to stay anchored better than when I had gravel. I don't know if it's technically true, but it seems sand wouldn't "bruise" plants like gravel does.

Besides the above, I simply prefer it because, to me, it look more natural.
RussellTheShihTzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #4 
MidnightsSong

I've had both sand and gravel in a ten gallon with plants (separate times). Both did well, it's really up to you and what you like best. Unless, of course you have cories, where as the previous posted mention you should get sand.
MidnightsSong is offline   Reply With Quote