Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2013, 12:11 AM   #1 
BettaBoy51

Question Red Green HM x Red White Female HM

Hey guys do you think they would breed good i want to know before i start conditioning so what do you guys think hope you like them

EDIT: the pic of the female is bad shes more red and white (my camera sucks)

EDIT: She a Dumbo Ear HM
Attached Images

BettaBoy51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Is she HM or HMPK? Her form over all looks great! So that will even out his messy anal fin and hopefully lead away from the rose tail side of things. It can get a little messy in that area so I would stay away if this is your first spawn. I think they would make a good pair but a flaring picture of her would really help out so we can critique a little more
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 AM   #3 
BettaBoy51

i can post a flaring pic tomorrow because shes im my sorority and all the fish get along i had one big female who was aggressive and i took her out for a day then pt her back in now they all get along great! but i am going to take her out and put her in a 1 gallon filtered tank for conditioning for a week or 2 but i will try to i like my male i know he has a bad anal fin but he was a 15 impulse buy and for that price hes good for me but i hope the babys turn out good and do you need to have IAL in the tank when breeding or no? thanks for your help!

EDIT: she is a HM her dad was a red OHM and her mom was an OHM dumbo ear nut she has a lot of dumbo ear
Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It is recommended to have IAL in the breeding tank I wouldn't breed without it really.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #5 
BettaBoy51

ok thanks so you think they are a good breeding pair i cant wait to see there spawn
Old 12-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I do, I think they'll balance each other out very well. As for color though, since it's hard to see the female, I can't tell what the fry might be. I can see they're both red/purple salamander's though. Looks like your fry might end up with just some heavier irid like the father unless the mother has it as well in which they will pretty much all have it. But again, can't tell without a clearer picture of her

But over all, speaking just about form, they look like a good pair
Old 12-06-2013, 10:14 AM   #7 
BettaBoy51

ok thanks and i have one quick question i have a really pretty DTHM and want to breed dim i know i cant breed to to another DTMH but what could i breed him with im going for his colors but not really the DT what could i breed him to i have 3 HM females could i do one of those? and how big does the female have to be compared to the male because my females are smaller my males are about 2 inches and my fe male about 1 and 1/2 inches (not including the tail)
Old 12-06-2013, 10:18 AM   #8 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, if you want to continue having HM babies and possible some more HMDT's then go with a HM female. It just makes things easier especially if you're focusing more on color.

And having a smaller female is good, that way the male can wrap her and she'll not slip out of his hold which will make for a successful spawn. They can be just about the same size and it may or may not work out but they'll wrap multiple times so your changes of getting fertilized eggs are fairly good if the female is a tad smaller. If she's bigger than you can put her in a small container for a while to stunt any more of her growth while you put the male in a larger tank so he can grow out more and hopefully even out. But in all, it's just easier to use a smaller female.
Old 12-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #9 
BettaBoy51

ok im really happy about this pair and am getting some IAL for my gamma who scraped his tail and maybe i will use that how long do IAL last?
Old 12-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #10 
BettaBoy51

and im going to feed betta pellets and freeze-dried bloodworms and some frosen food i will try to buy from my LFS but is that good to condition them and how much and how offten?