Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #1 
wolfrysk

Unhappy Tank finding woes

First of all, I would like to say hi to everyone who reads this :) I'm new here and currently looking into getting my first betta. My friend who works at a pet store finally convinced me to do so, but now I need some help!

I was talking to this same friend about basic betta care, and a whole lot of red flags came up when I asked this question: "Do I have to get a big tank?" and his response was "No, just by gravel, a plant and put it in a vase."

I am not going to put a 2 inch fish in a 3 inch vase

Today I was able to go out to two different pet stores, Petco and Petsmart to see what kind of tanks they had after researching it last night. The only problem is, since I am so new at this, I am afraid I'll get the wrong one.

This is what I am looking for: A small-ish 1-2.5g tank that costs less than $50 (this is just a number, I might be willing to go a little higher). Bigger tanks are welcome but they need to be within that price range and able to fit in the space available to me. Something very important is that this tank needs to be as silent as possible as I will be keeping it in my room. Ideally it would come with a heater/light/filter and such.
I know I'm asking for a lot, but all of it is "ideal" I'd still be open to suggestions from all of you!

Please though, I know many of you feel that a betta needs to be kept in 5-10g minimum. You are more than welcome to share those opinions here but please do it in a respectful way. As I have stated, I am personally looking for a small tank for one betta and no other animals, it is what works for me currently and I'm asking for that to be respected. I plan on perhaps getting a larger tank someday once I see how caring for one fish settles with me.

Here were some of the tanks that caught my eye earlier. Any thoughts?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752291
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752239
http://www.petco.com/product/100585/...riumsFurniture (I'm very leery of these "kits"...)
http://www.petco.com/product/102093/...m%20Kit-102093
http://www.petco.com/product/104215/...riumsFurniture
wolfrysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #2 
Calmwaters

I would suggest this one since you said you would not mind spending a little more. I like it because the filter is a good filter and the light is good to in my opinion. Some of the ones you have are in my opinion due to the small size not much better that a big flower vase because you would not be able to put in a heater to keep your new little buddy warm. Bettas like water to be bettween 76-78 so a heater will be needed if you live were the tempature gets below say 80. This one in my opinion is a good kit.
Aquarium Kits: Marineland Eclipse Hex 5 Aquarium Kit at PETCO
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #3 
Jynx

All of those are suitable and i've owned a couple of them- but there are drawbacks. None is large enough to use a standard heater- and they all have filters that make noise.
If you're willing to spend a tad more I've found the Eclipse series to be really good. I have the smallest one- which is 3 gallons. The filter works well, is quiet, and doesn't make a current too strong for a betta- which could stress them out or hurt them. They also have a nice light in the hood.
A lot of people do keep their fish in vases or bowls- but the fish usually doesn't live as long and moves around a lot less and you'll be cleaning it out a lot.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #4 
SweetnSpicy

I use the tetra one for my sister's fish. It is okay, but I highly recommend buying a 5gal, with a heater and a nice filter. Tetra products aren't really that good, and the filter stinks. It is NOT a whisper, like the box says. It is more like a loud BUUUZZZZ than anything.
SweetnSpicy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #5 
Elektra

I found the minibow series to work well... i am not sure about now but they used to have a 2.5 gal version a couple years ago (it is what i use now) also comes with a filter
I bought a 1 gal petco tank (similar in style to the minibow 2.5 gal) and the filter provided makes a bit of noise but it is tolerable and you get used to it pretty quickly
both come with lights in the hood
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:51 PM   #6 
SaylorKennedy

Any of the eclipse tanks are really good, I don't even hear mine at night and I have 3 of them.

I've heard the Minibows 2.5 gallons are good. They're like $40, I think, then you would need to buy all your other supplies, like gravel, water conditioner, silk plants (or real), heater, food, net, etc.

The cheapest thing you could do, if you're really want everything to be how you want, petsmart sells 2.5 gallon glass tanks, you can get a hood, a filter(the elite minifilter sold at petco is really good), a light (or just use a lamp right next to the tank) and then all your other supplies.
This is what I plan on doing for my next tank.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:05 PM   #7 
wolfrysk

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far, keep them coming!

Also, with regards to a heater, and this is open for anyone to express their opinion and such on because I don't know:
I live in Florida and my house is never below 75F except during the fall/winter when it is cool enough to open the windows. I personally like my room cold so will have my window open during those months. Now being in South FL, temps will rarely get below 55F and usually only at night will it go lower. (of course this isn't always the case). I'm wondering if the light itself would warm the water enough? I'm not exactly sure how much heat an aquarium light puts out into the water. I'm assuming I would have to do something in the winter about it. Are there any alternatives to a heater? My guess is no, but I'd just like to make sure.
wolfrysk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:06 PM   #8 
Elektra

I think most of us will agree it come down to personal preference...
some of us like having a box that comes with tank filtration and lighting
others prefer complete control over what goes in their tanks
at petco
a bag of gravel is like $3-4
a hydor mini heater is around $12
plants vary in price depending on size and material
if you are looking for a little cave/hidey hole for you fishy i suggest going to micheals and picking up a terra cotta pot for like $0.69
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:25 PM   #9 
Jynx

the light probably isn't enough to heat the tank- especially since you need to turn it off at night to let the fish sleep- they don't have eyelids and it's better for them to have the lights off in the evening to set a natural day/night pattern.
here in california i didn't need a heater until a few weeks ago when it started getting cold at night. my room is very drafty. i got the hrydro mini heater and burried it in the gravel- my fish seem very happy.
and yeah- if you get a kit don't use the little plastic plant that comes with- the plastic plants can tear a bettas fins. either get a silk plant or a low maintainence real one.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #10 
SaylorKennedy

Oh, and some of the tanks you have listed have an Undergravel Filter, which in my opinion aren't really filters, they just seem to make noise and bubbles.
SaylorKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote