Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2009, 12:44 AM   #1 
shealynn

A few questions

Hello all, I am new to this site as well as new to keeping a Betta. My boyfriend surprised me with a Betta and we bought what I thought was a cute 1/2 gallon bowl for him. After doing research however, I noticed that I should have kept my $5 and probably bought a 2 gallon tank. I've been looking around and have a few ideas, however since money is short it'll be a bit before I can afford one.

My main question is: how big should the tank/ bowl be for one of the mini hydor heaters? I thought I read somewhere that Hydor makes a heater for a 2.5 g tank or less, but I also just read something saying that was false.

Also, this may be random but some of you all have beautiful fish! Where are you getting them! I love my little guy, but I'm hoping to get another one day and was curious where people were getting the different breeds.

Any other suggestions for a cheap 2g tank or random hints and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as well.

Thank you!
shealynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 AM   #2 
AngelicScars

The mini heaters are best for 2.5-5 gallon tanks. I use one in my 2 gallon hospital, but it is getting cold here and it is keeping the water at a warmer temp that I need for healing.
A cheap two gallon suggestion would be to get a critter keeper. They can be used with fish, and you can use the mini heater in them. plus, they come with a lip (a must for Bettas, they are jumpers!) and a little door hatch on top to feed them.
I'm glad you did some research and decided to upgrade! The 1/2 gallon will be fine for now, just try to keep him in the warmest room of the house and keep up with the water changes. I would do a 100% change every 3 days, give or take.
The best variety of Bettas I've seen were at Petco. Sometimes you can luck out and find gorgeous Bettas there. Another place to find unique tail/color types would be aquabid.com. It's pricey, but the Bettas you can find there are breathtaking!
Good luck and welcome to the forum!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #3 
dr2b

You may also want to check Craigslist. You can get some really great deals on fish tanks there. I got my 5 gallon corner eclipse with the heater for $20 or $25 on there. It was in great condition too. I agree with everything Angelicscars said also.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:51 AM   #4 
doggyhog

Yes!! Def. check craigslist!!! I got one of my 10g tanks of there for 20 bucks!! Included everything except a heater and plants. :)
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:56 AM   #5 
shealynn

Thanks all :)

I feel really bad for him because my house thermostat is set at 62 degrees and I have no heater yet. We're taking care of my sister's cats at the time being, and seeing as I have nothing at the top of the bowl I can't keep him in the kitchen or anything. The only thing I can probably do is keep him in the bathroom with the door closed.

I did look on craigslist and the tanks I found were all gigantic in my area, which will be nice one day when I have both room for it and money to buy it and fill it!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:15 AM   #6 
Calmwaters

I have 2 of the 2.5 gallons that Petsmart has they are about $14.00, the heater and filter I got at Walmart they were around $15.00 for heater, $10.00 for the filter then for lights I just have a desk lamp over each. Here is a picture so you can see what mine looks like. In this picture I did not have the filter yet.

and here is the filter:

Good luck with your guy. Oh and as far as my fish I have got them at Petsmart, Walmart, and a small family owned LFS.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM   #7 
shealynn

Awesome thank you!
Old 10-14-2009, 12:44 PM   #8 
AngelicScars

The critter keepers and the mini heaters are both cheaper then what was mentioned above. Plus, in that small of a tank a filter isn't necessary.
Also, I've used a Whisper 2-10 gallon filter before for a 10 gallon tank and it was just too much current for my betta.
Maybe the 1-3 gallon works better.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:22 PM   #9 
Calmwaters

I agree a filter is not neccesary but I like to have one. This one does not have much of a current at all if the water is kept to the lip of the filter.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:39 PM   #10 
shealynn

Good news so far, I'm buying a 5 gallon Aqua-tech Hex 5g with a little rock decoration/ hiding spot for him tomorrow off craigslist for $15. So I think between the bigger tank and the heater I'll get, he should be a lot happier and stress free soon.