Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 07:19 PM   #101 
PetMania

Oh, well I am a Christian (again, nothing against other beliefs) so I believe that man and woman together. I chose that orientation on my own. Also, I had the influence of my parents and all.

I still don't see how age can change that....
Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #102 
LittleBettaFish

In the post above mine you were inferring that being gay is a choice. Sexual orientation is generally not a conscious choice we make. I certainly never chose who I am or am not attracted to.

Being young you are probably surrounded by people who are still discovering their sexuality and experimenting. Someone can be a homosexual and still go out with women for various reasons. It doesn't mean that they can turn their homosexuality on and off like a switch.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:22 PM   #103 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Depending on your orientation, you have different levels of different hormones in your brain.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #104 
PetMania

Alright, when I see scientific evidence I will believe that. I just choose to be straight.

Anyways, best wishes Oli.

Signing out.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #105 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
I feel like the whole LGBTQAA-etc thing is getting really long. Maybe "not heteronormative" might be a more inclusive, convenient label. :p
I'm kind of liking counter hegemonic, because it encompasses... pretty much every marginalized group out there. But, not heteronormative is a good choice too. I agree with it being a little too long. I was teaching it last spring to my Intro to Soc class, and I kept forgetting what things meant LGBTQQIAAP (Lesbian, Gay, Transexual, Queer, Questioning, Intersex, Asexual, Ally and Pansexual) woo hoo. I remembered.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #106 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
Alright, when I see scientific evidence

I just choose to be straight. .
It's quite hypocritical to require scientific evidence of others positions while not offering any to support your own. Show me the proof that it's a choice. Impossible, I know. But you are going to take a position that's impossible to prove, with no science to support it, and scoff at the science the opposition presents. You should google things you're unsure of rather than assume that it doesn't exist. There's scientific evidence....

You HAVE to say that you choose to be straight to support your position. Let me ask you - when did you choose to be straight? Since it's a choice you made you should know. I can't imagine that it was an informed decision - doesn't seem like alternatives were well presented. Too, I don't think anyone can argue that heterosexuality is not the default orientation - people don't chose to be straight, though they can choose to pretend to be.

I am a Christian too, FYI.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #107 
trilobite

Quote:
Alright, when I see scientific evidence I will believe that. I just choose to be straight
Heaps of scientific articles, youre just looking in the wrong place
http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdfplus/...cceptTC=true&&
http://jonfwilkins.blogspot.ca/2012/...sexuality.html
http://classes.biology.ucsd.edu/bisp...chard_2001.pdf

Last edited by trilobite; 11-20-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:02 PM   #108 
dramaqueen
Banned

As someone who is/was close to several gay people I believe you're born that way and it's not a choice. I'm also a Christian and I have compassion for people who are persecuted because of it.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #109 
Stone

Well, I live a lifestyle that most don't, it is ok to be different as long as it makes YOU happy and does not harm anyone. sex and sexual orientation might not really be a good subject for this forum because you really can't have an in-depth discussion without breaking the forum rules, As far as sex ed in schools here in the usa that solely depends on where in the usa here in tennessee "the bible belt" it is not taught. I am seeing religion being brought up in this thread and that is a real hot button issue that really should be avoided on this forum just like politics should be as well. I do support Olympia and her life and see nothing wrong with it and I admire the courage it took her to post about it knowing the amount of flack it could cause which it really should not, but people like to judge.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:09 PM   #110 
PetMania

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
It's quite hypocritical to require scientific evidence of others positions while not offering any to support your own. Show me the proof that it's a choice. Impossible, I know. But you are going to take a position that's impossible to prove, with no science to support it, and scoff at the science the opposition presents. You should google things you're unsure of rather than assume that it doesn't exist. There's scientific evidence....

You HAVE to say that you choose to be straight to support your position. Let me ask you - when did you choose to be straight? Since it's a choice you made you should know. I can't imagine that it was an informed decision - doesn't seem like alternatives were well presented. Too, I don't think anyone can argue that heterosexuality is not the default orientation - people don't chose to be straight, though they can choose to pretend to be.

I am a Christian too, FYI.
http://www.wnd.com/2012/10/why-you-cant-be-born-gay/
http://socialinqueery.com/2013/03/18...5-reasons-why/
Why are there different genders? If we were born to be gay, why make two opposite genders? No, I don't have to say that I am straight. I am straight. Please do not question my orientation. I made it because that is they way things go. It takes a man and a woman to make another human. Otherwise, there wouldn't be two genders. I do not pretend to be straight. That assumtion is empty and otherwise irrelevant to the fact that we all agree that someone's orientation shouldn't be judged. BTW, I am a teen and I know what to believe in.

I respect people who are of different orientations. I have nothing against you. Even as a Christian, I believe in the fact that people should not be judged on what they do or who they are.

No one has to be gay. So, what is the opposite? Choosing to be gay. I am sorry if I have offended anyone. You have your beliefs and you should stick to them. I am merely voicing my opinion on the matter. I will leave now as it is apparent that I am not making the situation better.

Olympia, I am sorry that the recent posts have gotten a bit off topic.

Last edited by PetMania; 11-20-2013 at 08:12 PM.
Closed Thread