Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 06:31 PM   #21 
dramaqueen
Banned

I just don't think a person's sexual orientation is anyone's business. You're still the same person whether you're gay, straight or anything else. It's like society feels it needs to know what you are. I don't judge people for what they are, either but I think it's a personal thing.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #22 
NeptunesMom

If you are looking for support you should contact your local LGBT alliance. There are current movements towards the term LGBTQQIAAP, one of the A's stands for asexual, because the goal is to be as inclusive as possible. I've never known anyone outwardly asexual, but as someone in academia I do try to acknowledge their existence when discussing topics of related to personal sexuality.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:06 PM   #23 
PetMania

I do agree with DQ that someone's orientation is no one's business, but we are here for support. Why else would we be on this forum? We come together as a community and help each other.

Now, I need to get something cleared. Is an asexual someone who does not believe in any form of sexual relationship? I'm a bit confused at the moment.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:39 PM   #24 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetMania View Post
I do agree with DQ that someone's orientation is no one's business, but we are here for support. Why else would we be on this forum? We come together as a community and help each other.

Now, I need to get something cleared. Is an asexual someone who does not believe in any form of sexual relationship? I'm a bit confused at the moment.
It's not that they don't believe in it. It's that they lack sexual feelings towards others/objects. I include objects because there are objectumsexuals who are attracted to objects (i.e. a car, or even probably Real Dolls fall into this category). They have legitimate relationships with inanimate objects.

Oh... to comment on DQ...

I wouldn't say it's a societal thing so much as a biological desire. We desire to know what others orientations are because we want to know where we stand with them (for example, am I a potential partner?). Now the Social Constructionist Sociologist in me just went "what did I just say! that goes against everything I teach, and my theoretical perspectives I use", but... it makes sense to me that there is a biological component. However, the way we treat others once we know their orientation is entirely based on our social norms/values.

Last edited by NeptunesMom; 11-19-2013 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

I think an asexual is someone who isn't sexually attracted to anything period.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:44 PM   #26 
PetMania

Ooooh, thanks for clearing that up.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #27 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Am I still on the betta fish forum?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:03 PM   #28 
dramaqueen
Banned

I know. I wondered if this subject was appropriate and family friendly and I was assured that it was.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #29 
NeptunesMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I know. I wondered if this subject was appropriate and family friendly and I was assured that it was.
I don't understand why it wouldn't be? It's not like someone is sharing graphic accounts of their love life. It's a discussion about a group of people that are often forgotten about and ignored. They are marginalized by our society (as we pretend they don't exist), and when they are shown in popular culture or media they are caricatures as opposed to real people. The lounge is a place for people to talk with others who might have interests beyond fish in common with them. It seems to me, this is a great place to discuss this and a great place for people to find support as our community is full of many different types of people.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:22 PM   #30 
ILLBETHEJUDGE

Just think that everybody is making a big deal out of nothing.
Not trying to offend anyone but it seems that the person that started the thread need to learn how to love and accept herself before expecting other people to love her or accept her.
being asexual can be just a fase, probably she hasn't find a person that delivers exactly what she needs, it's all about chemistry.
Don't go saying I am asexual. Just say I am who I am.
For example I am a carpenter and I cut my left hand and got 3 deformed fingers and I don't hide my hand and often people stare at my fingers and I don't mind. There is some people that asks what happened to my hand and I just stand proud and say I am a carpenter and I had an accident.
The fact I am different doesn't make me feel less or try to make other people accept me.
Just be who you are as long as you don't hurt other people on the road is fine, I am sure you will find someone that will rub you the right way.
I don't know if my opinion matters but that is just my 2 cents.
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread