Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2009, 03:47 PM   #1 
Jynx

Smile question about live plants

since this is the first time i've tried live plants in a small tank i'm not sure when i should consider the plants to be taking over the tank? they've grown big and bushy but the fish seem to like it- and the water smells good and is clean. i regularly remove dead or wilted leaves so they don't rot or clog anything. Lulu has no prob getting to the surface to gulp air. should i be looking out for any specific chemical imbalances? and if so whats a good testing kit for that?
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:02 PM   #2 
ChristinaRoss

it sounds to me, like your tank is perfect. if the plants are thriving like that, your tanks in great balance. great job! what type of plants are they?
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #3 
Jynx

i don't know the proper name for them- they're from the betta bulbs. there was also confusion because they looked different from each other until a few weeks ago and now they look alike. they have long stalks with little white flowerettes on them. the stalks die fairly quickly and i pull them off and the plants grow more.
the first pic is of the tank soon after Lulu's move from the 1 gallon where she had the bushy plant- to the 3 gallon where i gave her a lantern toy and the second plant. as you can see the second plant sprouted stalks right away and has thin leaves while the older plant has no stalks and broad leaves-

now both plants have broad leaves and stalks. but the older plant didn't have them until about 2 weeks ago. so i guess they're the same kind after all- even though they looked totally different for many months. in conclusion- plants are weird and aquariums never stop being surprising :P

Last edited by Jynx; 10-14-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:51 PM   #4 
dr2b

I agree with Christina, that's fabulous your plants are doing so well. I love having plants like that. I was erie of betta bulbs when I seen them, that's why I went with potted plants. But yours are gorgeous!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:30 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow!! Nice plants! :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #6 
ifish

very nice plants
ifish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

i wouldnt prune them out, yet. they look great and help with the water quality. your tank is healthy and im sure the fish loves them.
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #8 
Calmwaters

I think they look great. I would not change a thing. I got some of the betta bulbs last week and so far none of them have grown. : ( I plan on getting some potted plants tomorrow to put in the tanks. Threes of them have small wenth plants right now and I would like to add 1 more plant to the 2.5 gallons, and 4 more plants to the 10 gallon, and get maybe 2-3 for the 5 gallon.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote