Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2009, 05:48 AM   #1 
Xiles

What is this - bluish growth/scales on Betta?

While he was in a quarantine tank, because of some aggression I've had to put him in my full 75g tank, so I'm worried as to what this ... growth? on the side of my betta is. He's had it since we got him, so it's not something that my tank caused.

I wonder if it's ... scar tissue or something? When we got him, someone had been keeping him in a bowl (one of those tiny wal-mart bowls) with another betta. He was almost dead, or so it seemed. (The other betta is the one we actually had to move from the 75g because of aggression towards the other fish.) After giving him some wide range medication (supposed to treat for fungus types, because we weren't sure what it was) he seemed to perk up...

After putting him in the 75g, he's brightened colour considerably, and is very active. He eats healthily and, apart from the occasional "poof" at the guppies, he gets along fine with the other fish. If anything, being in the big tank has made him healthier.

Just the blue growth or whatever it is (it's not fuzzy, and it hasn't grown any in the time we've had him) is still there and I don't want it to be something that infects the 75g. I just didn't have a choice in moving him.

also: http://www.neonmouse.com/personal/Juliard2.png
Xiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM   #2 
Xiles

This got moved here, so I don't know if anyone saw it. Maybe no one else knows what it is either. u_u
Old 10-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #3 
5green

it might just be him natrally
5green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea what it could be. If it was some kind of infection, I would think he would act like he wasn't feeling good. It may just be scar tissue, like you said. I would just keep an eye on it and if anything changes then try some more meds.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 AM   #5 
AlexXx

is it an actual indentation? i cant tell from the pic?! doesnt look to good... but i donno what i could be.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:14 PM   #6 
DragonFish

I actually saw a female at my LPS with something very similar to this....only larger and a light blue color. The employees were commenting on how 'the one with the blue spot looks cool' and when I went have to look....I instantly thought 'Theres something wrong with that fish'. It was difficult to tell her behavior as she was in a bag, floating in the tank with her sisters.

I'd never seen anythign like it before either....though I'd originally thought some sort of fungal infection...maybe it is scar tissue? She had a light body, similar to your guy, and a bit of blue iridescence....This one stumped me....I've never been able to figure it out.
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:46 PM   #7 
Xiles

It actually pokes out, not in, that's why I was calling it a growth. I've never seen anything like it either.

It looks kind of like a ... well, like a covering or scab I guess? It doesn't flake off or anything that I've seen, so I guess that's a bad comparison, but it looks like it's laying on top of him like that. It's kind of shiny like scales in certain places.

But no, he doesn't act sick or hurt. He swims and patrols the tank like he owns the place (hint: he does. I don't think the guppies, cories, or ADFs are going to challenge that lol) and he eats healthily.

So I dunno. Maybe it IS scar tissue.

Edit: Yeah. It's a little hard to tell but he's a cream-white-ish colour, with a nice iridescent shimmer. He looks like he's pulsing with light when he swims and the tank light's on. :D
Old 10-17-2009, 11:42 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

I saw a picture of one of the first marbles and it had black lumps on it, I guess it was normal. Maybe he's a marble or it could be a tumor but tumors are more white colored.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote