Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-14-2009, 10:06 PM   #1 
NotMicrowaveSafe

Question Better Meds/Methods for Fin Rot?

I know there are tons of messages about fin rot on here, but I don't think I'm repeating a question...

A couple weeks ago, I noticed that my betta had fin rot. I started using Melafix, and after a few days his fins were transparent at the ends and healing. After a week and a half, I stopped adding the Melafix because he was mostly better. Two days later, his fins were more damaged than ever, with a huge tear in his dorsal fin. I've had him back on the Melafix for a couple days, but I'm really worried.

So, my two questions:
At this point, should I try something besides Melafix? Maybe Jungle Fungus Eleminator? Something else?

And, this was a new thought, should I not be running his filter while I've got these medicines in there? There's charcoal in the filter, and it just occurred to me that the charcoal could be removing the meds.

Thanks so much for your help, guys!
NotMicrowaveSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #2 
dr2b

I question if you have a case of fin rot occurring. Do the fins look black on the end? The way you are describing how fast it occurs after you stopped the medication makes me think your betta is injuring himself on the filter intake tube.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:45 PM   #3 
NotMicrowaveSafe

I could be wrong, but I'm almost certain it's fin rot. His fins are black on the end, and the damage was really slight at first and accumulated gradually. He might have just hurt himself on something else this time (maybe flaring too much and bursting his fin?), but after describing his problems a couple weeks ago on this forum most people seemed to agree it was fin rot. And he pretty much stays away from the filter and plays in his plants on the other side of the tank.
NotMicrowaveSafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:48 PM   #4 
dr2b

I'm not disagreeing it was the first time.... it sounds like it was. But fin rot doesn't just show up that bad in 2 days...which is why I questioned the fact if it was the 2nd time around. Flair (my CT) tore his fins on the intake tube. That's what makes me think it was that. Is there anything sharp in the tank?
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote