Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #1 
KasumiBetta

Ultimate Aquascaping - Help needed!

Hi everybody,

I currently keep my betta Sunchaser in a 10 gallon heated, planted, filtered aquarium. I have been doing a lot of research in aquascaping, and now I realize that my tank really isn't all that awesome. I have two logs and arock with about a billion random plants stuck haphazardly through the gravely, and it's really not pretty.

So what does one do with this situation?

One buys a whole new tank for Sunchaser's pleasure, of course. :D

I currently have an empty 10 gallon, and I want to take my time and make it a stunning habitat worthy of my betta. I read somewhere about making a background of broken slate and moss which I think is cool, and about spray painting the back, but does anyone have any ideas for making the actual middle part amazing?

What about lighting for the plants? What is best? And should I use a dirt floor like I've read about and "Cap" it with sand or gravel? What plants do best with bettas?

I was hoping to photograph this and do an aquascaping post on my blog, but first I have to know what I'm doing. x.x

Can you guys please help me come up with the very best planted tank ever?
KasumiBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:56 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah, you can use the dirt with the sand cap. Gravel is okay but sand definitely works better for planted tanks IMHO. Or you can use something like Eco-Complete which I will be using for my future planted tanks, no cap needed and you can mix it in with some black sand to make it thicker and prettier

As far as plants, you can basically use anything! I use pictures and then identify the plants in them usually or you can ask someone to identify the plants if you find something you like. You can use this site here to figure out some amazing aquascapes! http://www.tropica.com/en/home.aspx

I'm going to do something similar to this only just have the rocks in the corner to make an angled scape http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2012/show209.html

Here's one of my favorites though:
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #3 
KasumiBetta

That would be awesome! I've been browsing the "Show off your plants" thread and seen a couple that I've looooooved.

The one you showed is AWESOME! I wouldn't believe it was underwater if I didn't spy the fish!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:16 PM   #4 
alwaysaBettaLover

Sand looks really good. I use it in one of my 5 gallon tanks and it looks really pretty. It is harder to clean, and If it's white sand then algae doesn't look good either. But I really like it . I agree with lilnaugrim on the picture idea. Maybe you could try to make it look as close to the picture as possible? -If that's not what they meant- live plants are also really nice cause they can flow in the current (if there is one)they look real and when there not half dead like mine (light burn out) they are gorgeous!!!

Also, there's a fish in that picture?!
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

I know, right?!?! Totally awesome!

Yeah, I usually save all the favorite ones

One general thing you can think of while thinking of an aquascape is to bunch plants together with their own species. So don't put one piece of wisteria here and another on the other side of the tank, bunch them together and it will look nicer ^_^
Old 11-19-2013, 05:39 PM   #6 
KasumiBetta

Hmm, that might have been what went wrong with my first tank. We shall see. Going to spruce it up and trim it a bit and see what I have.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:49 PM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Sure