Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #1 
valefish

Exclamation Heating advice!

Hello bettafish members! Newbie here :) I have recently bought my very first betta fish. He's a little halfmoon in a 1 gallon tank and until I decide when to get a bigger home for him I would like to know what type of heater I can be using for him. I prefer it to be specifically for small tanks, safe and adjustable. I currently have the Marina Betta Mini Heater that I got yesterday but I'm so afraid of leaving it on while I sleep or got to school/work for fear of it overheating or something going wrong. My room drops to 68*F so I need one! Unless you agree I should be ok with the marina one. Thanks!

PS he seems super happy and active even when his water is cold. I'm just want him to be extra comfy.
valefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #2 
Reagan

I have a one gallon tank and use this as a heater:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo

I find it works well. It isn't adjustable but it maintains a constant heat of 78*F. That way you don't need to worry about overheating
Reagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:10 PM   #3 
valefish

The 10W or 25?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:13 PM   #4 
Reagan

The 10watt heater
Reagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #5 
valefish

Ok thanks so much! My heater seems to be ok it's been at a constant 77F so I'm comfortable with that
Old 11-22-2013, 07:54 PM   #6 
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
I have a one gallon tank and use this as a heater:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInCA%2FNo

I find it works well. It isn't adjustable but it maintains a constant heat of 78*F. That way you don't need to worry about overheating
I have 3 of these heaters in 2.5 gallons and my mom has 1 in a 1 gallon. You must have got a good one, while they are consistent none of the 4 we have get higher than 74, regardless of ambient room temperature (my house is cooler, hers warmer)

My mom has the marina Betta heater in a 1.8 gallon (it's the little square shape one) it keeps her tank at a consistent 80. I'm not fussy on heaters that don't shut off but she has been using it for a few months with no issues
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 AM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Like Cowboy's mom, you may get lucky and have a heater that heats to 76*/80* and shuts off. But, for your fish's safety, try to get a larger tank and an adjustable heater as soon as possible.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:02 PM   #8 
NancyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy View Post
I have 3 of these heaters in 2.5 gallons and my mom has 1 in a 1 gallon. You must have got a good one, while they are consistent none of the 4 we have get higher than 74, regardless of ambient room temperature (my house is cooler, hers warmer)

My mom has the marina Betta heater in a 1.8 gallon (it's the little square shape one) it keeps her tank at a consistent 80. I'm not fussy on heaters that don't shut off but she has been using it for a few months with no issues
This is what happened to me as well. I tried three of these heaters (took them all back) as they would only heat to 74 degrees. However, I then bought the tetra preset 50 watt heaters and they weren't heating to 78 degrees either.

Someone on this board told me to put the heaters at the bottom of the tanks mounted horizontally. It worked. The heaters now heat to about 77/78 degrees.
NancyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #9 
cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyO View Post
This is what happened to me as well. I tried three of these heaters (took them all back) as they would only heat to 74 degrees. However, I then bought the tetra preset 50 watt heaters and they weren't heating to 78 degrees either.

Someone on this board told me to put the heaters at the bottom of the tanks mounted horizontally. It worked. The heaters now heat to about 77/78 degrees.
Really? I'm going to try that and see if it works, putting the heater horizontal. Thanks.
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 PM   #10 
valefish

I put my mini heater in the middle of the side wall of my tank and it is now between 80F (sometimes 78F but not a lot of the time)

Tags
adjustable, heater, small tank