Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-15-2009, 09:54 PM   #1 
Magdalaine

Question Sick girlie, possibly fungus?

So i'm actually posting this on behalf of my younger sister (she's 10) who called me earlier this evening to ask me if it was okay for her betta, Anabelle to have "white things" on her gills. She said that they didn't look cottony, but that there were white things on her gills that she'd had for a few days and that she hadn't eaten in a day or two.

My first though was columnaris, but since she said it isn't cottony or puffy, I'm thinking that it might be a fungal infection. I told her to pick up some JFE/JFC tomorrow from our LFS, but I just wanted some other input on it. The tank is a 2.5gal with a hydor mini heater, aquarium salt and a whisper 3i filter which she inherited from me, not sure of the water params or water change schedule. I told her the water needs to be changed at least 50% weekly, but I don't know that she's following it.

Also, I am at college 4.5 hours away or else I would post a picture of Anabelle.
Magdalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:57 AM   #2 
okijapan

Are they like tiny worms? Might be a parasite. Is the fish "flashing" aka rubbing his head along the glass or decorations like he's trying to scratch.
okijapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #3 
kelly528

Maybe gill rot? Hard to tell without pictures... that would mean that the 'white' areas are dead tissue which it not a good sign.
Betta Disease Diagnostic Tool: Gill Rot
It is caused by high nitrites, which could be a likely occurence in a tank in the hands of a ten year old... even if she cleans it every week, she may be overfeeding...
kelly528 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #4 
Magdalaine

Okay, thanks. I'm going to call my family shortly to tell them to change the water and double the salt-content in it and see if that helps any...
Old 10-16-2009, 04:42 PM   #5 
Magdalaine

Talked with my mother. My sister has been doing water changes roughly every 10-14 days, so I told her she should be cleaning it every week. Also, my mother said the water looks quite icky so she is going to do a tear down of the tank and wash everything in scalding water and then re-add Anabelle to the tank with clean water. Hopefully that will resolve everything! I want to see my sister's girlie (she got her after I left for school).