Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2009, 10:23 AM   #1 
BakaMandy

Dropsy...

So the fish I'm taking care of for a friend, Ryuk, suddenly developed dropsy. ):

It's pretty upsetting since I've kept his water clean and only fed him pellets, so I don't know how it came to this. He was also fine the day before, eating and swimming around... although I did notice he was bloating, but I thought it was just overeating and cut down on his food a little. ._. I didn't expect it to be this...

But anyways, I've been reading several methods of treatment, and all of them suggest the use of Epsom salt since it will help with the bloating. But I don't know where to get it XD I know places like Bulk Barn sell it, but I'm afraid it might be contaminated with something else since it's lying in the open and people scoop it into bags. Other than that, I don't know where to get it...

I've been treated him with Maracyn-two and I'll be looking for some Kanacyn today. Thankfully it doesn't seem that bad. His scales are only protruding very little, and he doesn't seem as bad as he did the day before after 1 day of treatment. I pray I'll be able to save him...

Last edited by BakaMandy; 10-16-2009 at 10:25 AM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #2 
JamieTron

You could try to not feed him for a day or two to see if the bloating goes away, sometimes constipation can cause that. Do you have any photos?

Also you should buy the salt from the petstore if you are planning on salt baths, it is safer that way :)
JamieTron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:38 AM   #3 
BakaMandy

I do have aquarium salt in his tank and I have been giving him salt baths (mostly because he had a really bad case of fin rot from when my friend had him...) D: and I have already tried fasted him (before it was confirmed dropsy), the bloating didn't go away. Besides, the bloating is more swollen body looking than constipation now.

I've read several stories on successful dropsy treatments (because dropsy in betta fish is hard to treat), and all of them have used Epsom salt and Kanacyn... so that's why I'm looking for Epsom salt.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:53 PM   #4 
JamieTron

ah okay yes that does sound like dropsy. I have a betta that has had dropsy for a month or so now, I am afraid it is difficult to cure. The salts will alleviate the swelling at least. However, the medications are not very helpful (I am sure some people can get rid of it if it's early stages). I wish you luck! I tried maracyn. no real result, just that the swelling went down for like a day and can back.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:26 PM   #5 
Rain Drop

I usually get Epsom salt at drug stores like Shoppers Drugmart or Pharmasave.
Even places like Wal-mart or Zellers will probably have it.

Last edited by Rain Drop; 10-16-2009 at 01:29 PM.
Rain Drop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #6 
BakaMandy

:) Thank you Rain Drop! I'll try looking there!

@JamieTron: D: yeah... I heard that Maracyn-two wasn't that effective, but it's the only thing I have at the moment. I'm going out to buy kanacyn soon, which I've read to be relatively successful. It's a little distraught knowing that curing dropsy is a hit or miss... Good luck to you too!
Old 10-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Is he pineconing?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 12:46 AM   #8 
BakaMandy

Yeah, mildly, but he's defiantly pine-coning.

): Visited every pet store/aquarium store in the area, Kanacyn is only sold in the USA. darn Canada, why can't you carry any proper fish medicine?! All the pet stores told me to just give up and euthanize him... ._. But I don't like giving up without trying... but if he gets any worst, I might consider it since I don't want him to suffer...

Last edited by dramaqueen; 10-17-2009 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sorry about Ryuk. You're doing the best you can for him. All you can do is make him comfortable.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #10 
JamieTron

Surprisingly sometimes Canadian walmarts carry the fish meds that the petstores don't seem to have. You could try there?