Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #1 
Calmwaters

I had to take the back ground off of Jacks...

tank. I put it on yesterday and he has not stopped flareing at his reflection since. I tried turning his light off and also tried putting real plants along the back to block him but he still would go in between the plants and flare. He would not even eat for flareing at his reflection. Anybody have any other ideas I could try? The back ground was just a piece of copier paper that I colored black with a marker but I really liked the way it looked. Should I put it back and see if in a couple days he stops? Or should I just leave it off so I do not stress him out. He is now happily swimming in and out of the leaves on the plants. Hes so silly.

Last edited by Calmwaters; 10-16-2009 at 03:17 PM.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:57 PM   #2 
dr2b

That's what Flair did. I didn't leave it on more than 15 minutes because he refused to leave the back of the tank while flaring. I for kicks tried the plain and not shiny black paper I put on Marina's tank this week. Just holding up the paper to the tank for a minute or so - Flair was flaring like crazy. I have tried every kind of material for Flair. Some male bettas just can't have anything against their tanks..
Oh, and I have tried everything I can think of to dull the shiny background I have...but it doesn't matter, he still flared.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:58 PM   #3 
Elektra

try a lighter color? maybe blue or green?
Elektra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #4 
gahcrazy

I find this interesting! I've got this nutty betta that wouldn't stop moving back and forth, flairing, for the love of god, and it drove me nuts to watch him!! long story short i had a background with lots of white coral and black in it. I changed the back- ground this slowed him down alot! the problem is after a week or so his rear fin began disapearing! break out the meds ,water changes, salt baths ect... ,nothing was working. Well this morning after thinking and thinking the only thing i haven't tried was putting the old bakcground back on so after cleaning the tank out ,,,,zoom, zooom zooom flairr flairr !!! so now i going to wait and see if he stops biting his tail. chasing his shadow may not be such a bad thing...? so anyhow if you want your betta to have a background i recomed light colors yellows, greens but.. if he is over acctive like Fish is watchout for him getting bored. he might find his fin something to nibble on
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #5 
gahcrazy

P.S. Fish was very active when i got him even in the lil cup he came in. so maye thats what he needs. good luck
gahcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #6 
Calmwaters

Thanks for the ideas I will get a small pack of construction paper and see if there is a color in there that will work. If not then I will just get use to not haveing a back ground on his tank.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote