Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #1 
luvanimals

Unhappy Worried

We had Rainbow for 4 months in a 1/2 gallon bowl and he was perfectly happy. After reading about how bettas strive in larger tanks and need a heater to keep the water temp. stable, I went and purchased a new larger tank. Rainbow was introduced to his new home on Thursday afternoon. Today when I went to feed him he was just laying on his side at the bottom of the tank. He passed away yesterday afternoon. I went and got a new betta(yet to be named) so that my daughter wouldn't freak out. I took the tank apart and cleaned it completely and put fresh water in. When I put the new betta in he swam around and seemed to be so happy in his new home. Now today he is just lying on the bottom of the tank...he didn't even come up to eat. His color also seems to be not as bright as it was yesterday. The water temp has been right at 80 since he was introduced it. What is wrong? Is it the tank or something else? Please help!
luvanimals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:26 PM   #2 
AngelicScars

Did you use any kind of soap or cleaning product to clean the tank?
Are you using water conditioner?
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:54 PM   #3 
luvanimals

No I just used plain water to rinse it out and yes I did use a water conditioner
Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 PM   #4 
AngelicScars

Hmmm odd. I'm not sure what the problem could be.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:27 PM   #5 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
I have the same problem with Akiro, accept he is just at the top. Help, for further info check out The thread Akiro located in betta pics.

Thanks K stiles

Last edited by k stiles; 10-17-2009 at 10:28 PM. Reason: thread not fourm
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 12:07 PM   #6 
luvanimals

I moved him to the smaller original tank on Sat. morning. He remained at the bottom throughout the day not looking too well. On Sunday morning he was back to swimming around and eating. Looks like the fish that I seem to get prefer the smaller bowls.

I was thinking that he had tail rot, but after seeing a couple pictures and reading what others had described...not too sure. The tip of his one tail looks like it is shrivled up a bit...don't see any black spots. I can't remember if this is how it was when I got him on Friday. Any ideas?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:03 PM   #7 
BakaMandy

It's in their genetics to have bits of their fins curl, so it's okay.

Hmm, did you cycle the tank before putting him in? Is there a filter? Did you check the water parameters? How big is the tank? Did you condition him to his new tank before you put him in? What types of ornaments did you put in the tank?

Some bettas do find a large tank stressful because they have more area to patrol. Also, they prefer shallow water tanks, Anything too deep, they might find stressful. But it really depends, some bettas love large tanks.

Last edited by BakaMandy; 10-19-2009 at 01:06 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #8 
luvanimals

Thanks for the info. about their tails! No need to rush out get medicine. The 2 gallon tank that I had purchsed last week with a heater and filter was tall vs long, so I guess that it would of been too deep if they do prefer shallow water. I will look into purchasing a larger shallow tank. He is currently in my original 1/2 betta tank with no filter or heater and doing great. I am watching the temp. to make sure that it remains stable...it has been right at 80.

I have read that some say that use of aquarium salt all the time in their tank is good for them...is this necessary?

Thanks again for all the help!