Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-17-2009, 01:30 PM   #1 
Ralphieee

Ralphie is moving to his 5 gallon tank today! Advice needed+

Today is pet day in my house haha! Both Ralphie and my Russian Tortoise Toby are getting new, better homes (I just got my RT a few days ago!). Ralphie my betta is going in a 5 gallon aquarium. What do I need to buy with it? I'm assuming a filter and definitely a heater. Anything else?

But my biggest questions are how do I get him in there safely and how do I clean out his new tank? I can't take out all the water all the time right? Will this be easier to take care of then my one gallon? Thanks everyone!
Ralphieee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 03:17 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Yep, you need a heater for sure. Filters aren't needed, but they are recommended! Cycling your tank makes it much easier to clean.

If you cycle your tank, you only need to do a water change once a week (which is what I do for my 10 gal, you may need to change it more frequently in a smaller tank...maybe someone else will clear that up). About 20-30% WC usually.

To get your new guy in the tank, float him around in a baggie or the cup that you bought him in for a while. I do 15-30 minutes. This lets him get used to the tempurature in the tank.

And as for other things your betta needs, a few plants and a place where he can hide will make him very happy. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:33 PM   #3 
ChristinaRoss

i think jupiter covered it nicely
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #4 
Jupiter

Thanks. I've learned a lot from all of you. :)
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote