Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-16-2009, 01:11 PM   #1 
DragonFish

Methinks I have a Tailbitter on my hands :(

I know, a horrid thought.....but yesterday I did a PWC(probably only about 15%)on my cycled divided 10 that currently holds Smore and Supernova, scraped some algae off the walls, rocks, and a little off the divider.....then go about my day. I go to feed them a few hours later, and Smores beautiful tail is shredded and bloody I had no clue how it happened. He'd gotten over the divider before and had a chunk taken out of his tail by Supernova, but that was healing up and the divider had been fixed.....Theres no way he could have gotten over there and back between the time I did the PWC and the time I went to feed without me noticing, the tank is in my room. No plant could have shredded his fins like this....and the only other option would have been if he got it caught in the filter intake, but Its hard to believe that happened for hes been there for a while without issues.....So I assume the worst, hes chomping on his gorgeous tail I don't know why this started all of a sudden....maybe taking algae off the divider and being able to sorta see Supernova again stressed him? I don't know...there was a couple flares from Supernova, but after a couple minutes he left Smore alone to go flare at his own reflection in the corner...

I couldn't do a salt bath last night, it was too late, so I let him be.....and it seems his tail might be worse this morning! I've got a few pictures....I dunno, it really looks like tailbitting to me but....is there a chance its not...?

Also, all I have is Epsom salt.....I've been using this for Salt baths with good results, but would it help any if I added some to his tank? Would it hurt? Do anything it all? I just want my poor babys tail to be alright
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 10:33 PM   #2 
Blizzardqueen

okay, this is completely unhelpful, but

OMGGGGGGGG your fish is adorable, i love love love how the tip of his nose/mouth is peach SO CUTE

personally, I think this looks more like ripping/biting rather than rot
Blizzardqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #3 
DragonFish

Thank you! Yes, I love all my bettas, but without question Smore is my little baby sweety pie <3

xD Anyway, I know its definitely not rot....his tail was fine and full(minus a small tear that was healing nicely)and then a few hours later BAM, shredded fins. I've been keeping a close eye on him today, and luckily it hasn't gotten any worse.....I suppose I'll just keep giving him salt baths and hope it heals D:
Old 10-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #4 
AlexXx

I have the same problem with Sawyer, it just began this last week, and there are 2 huge chunks missing outa his top tail and bottom tai, both about the same size looks like mouth bites. Then i Caught him doing it! Now i think hes developed more fin rot again! I tried melafix a few cycles, and also JFC... I donno what else to do, hes not gotten any better. He still seems like a pretty happy fish though :/

And btw... Your fish is amazing.

Oh, ive read that if you put your tail biter around females they will get distracted and not do it any more. I tried, i dont think he did it but then i created my sorority, so i had to take the ladies and put them in the 10 gal :/
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #5 
DragonFish

After reading about Melafix/bettafix/ext and the affect it can have on bettas.... something about burning away the labyrinth organ and drowning them....I don't think I'll ever use it again, just to be on the safest side. My LPS doesn't carry JFE or JFC either :/ So I have to make do with salt, luckily my guys don't really seem to contract finrot too easily.....I don't know, my water is funny. I have a single angel thriving in a none planted 50 gallon, never had any problems with fin curling in my CTs, and only very mild cases of finrot that were cleared up quickly with salt baths. And my PH reads 7.9 right out of the tap, 8.0 form the hose

He seems to not have bitten it in the past couple days.....so maybe he did have a little accident with the filter or something. Dunno. Females aren't an option for me either, as I have a sorority as well and nowhere else to put Supernova.
Though I think I'm going to move Smore into the 5 gallon, as Jirou is doing beautifully and his fins are growing back, I'll just switch them out and see how things go....
Old 10-18-2009, 12:59 PM   #6 
BakaMandy

Actually, I'm pretty sure it's fin rot. The shredding is pretty much a sign. Fin rot can easily tear apart a tail in a matter of hours ): Shota is like that, as soon as I notice a hole, or the tips of his fins just slightly frayed or red, half his tail will be missing an hour later. It's really, really nasty ):

Tail biting looks more like this:

And you should see him spin himself in circles trying to bite his tail (much like a dog chases his tail). Usually they do it if they're stressed, I've also notice it happen when they're in small containers.

Because it looks and sounds a lot like the type of fin rot Shota has, I recommend using Maracyn+Maracyn-two asap. Salt baths are very helpful too. D:
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:31 PM   #7 
DragonFish

Really? Finrot? It can seriously destroy a tail in hours? O.o; that scares me, I've never heard of it doing that before...what brings it on? Is it something I did? Should I be concerned about Supernova, who was sharing a tank with him? Or Jirou, who is now where he used to be?

Smore is a very active swimmer, though I've never seen him 'chase' his tail, hes constantly moving(almost impossible to get good pictures of him in his tank, those were taken in the salt bath).
I'm afraid all I have at my disposal right now is Epsom salt, and no way to get to my LPS....and no clue when I'll be able to get there. However, I'll continue with rigorous salt baths, add a little salt to the 5 gallon his in now, and pick up some Maracyn and Maracyn-two whenever I head in to town next. Can't hurt, even if its not the finrot, right?

Thank you for your help, Smore and I really applicate it^-^
Old 10-18-2009, 02:11 PM   #8 
BakaMandy

Well... What happened to Shota was I went away for a few days and he had plastic plants in his tank. The plastic plant ripped his tail since betta's tails are really fragile...

I also had an under gravel filter at the time, and I didn't know that you have to do a 100% water change and clean under the gravel to get rid of all the poop and excess food that get sucked down under there every month or so, so his cut got infected with whatever icky stuff was in his water, since it was probably very unclean because the tank had been set up for at least 2 months, and there was a lot of gunk down there when I finally did clean it....

When I got home, I didn't know what exactly happened, but I did a small water change and let him be. He healed up but his tail was always frayed and slowly was getting shorter until one day a hole developed in his dorsal fin and I freaked out because I knew it wasn't natural, found this forum, read it was fin rot, ran to the pet store and bought medicine. By the time I got back an hour later, his tail was almost completely gone )':

But because I didn't know quite what I was doing, it took him months to recover... but he still has relapses now and then, and those really suck but at least now I know what I'm doing so he gets better after 1 week of treatment.

It's because he'd been in medicine for so long that his resistance to the disease is practically gone. I found this product that supposedly improves a fish's immune system, and I'm desperately trying to get my hands on it >.<

But yeah.... o-oa I dunno. I say keep him warm and his water clean, and do salt baths till you can get your hands on some meds. The use of a hospital tank is also very beneficial D: since they're easier to clean. Hopefully he'll get better and you won't need medicine D:

Last edited by BakaMandy; 10-18-2009 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:40 PM   #9 
DragonFish

Hmm....the thing is, Smores tail was perfectly fine when I did my PWC. There was never any sign of shredding or tearing, and I've only got a couple of live plants in there(working on getting some more). There was that one chunk missing, that what was from when he jumped the divider and it was about half way healed by now.

So....can this show up without any signs at all? Because, literally, he was fine and a few hours later half his tail was missing.

I have no hospital tank, but the 5 gallon is bare bottom with a couple silk plants and a clay pot, filtered, and heated at a steady 80 degrees with a small amount of Epsom salt. Jirou was a rescue who is still recovering, though doing wonderfully. Hes tail could use a little more thickening, but I think hes quite young anyway....
But, I think Smore needs the 5 gallon a little more anyway....it'll be easier to treat him.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:08 PM   #10 
BakaMandy

Oh, so he did damage his tail on something? :S Hmmm... I dunno, maybe it stressed him out and he caught it. I know healthy betta's are usually well enough to fight fin rot off themselves, but in cases where they get stressed out, they are more prone to get sick D: