Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2009, 10:48 PM   #1 
TyandGizmo

How can he have Fin Rot!?

I just got my first Beta Fish. The lady at Petsmart made it sound like you take him home put him in a small tank feed him every day and he will thrive. In reality I got online after buying him and read that is NOT the case! Anyways the second day I had him I felt bad for him so I went out and got him a 29 Gallon tank with castles, plants, a heater and filter and amg... Everything I could find for him... Thermometers. I've tried my best to keep him healthy and happy and it's literally been a week now and hes got black tips on all his fins. One of his front two fins is deteriorating. When I saw this I freaked out and got online and read about Fin Rot. I read it's a possiblity he does not have it, but I want to make 100% sure. Does it sound like Fin Rot?

The worst part is, I have no idea how he got it if thats the case. I got him a filter and I do 25% Water changes every couple of days. I figured he would be doing great after only a week. It is a new tank, maybe thats it? I rinsed everything thoroughly before I filled the tank with distilled water. Another thing... He seems perfectly happy. He swims around really fast and wrestles himself in the mirrors... He eats fine... I don't get it. I've never had a fishy before.

Please help me save gizmo! I love him!
TyandGizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:36 PM   #2 
CodeRed

It sounds like you take amazing care of him! Fin rot is a tricky thing, that can happen if you slack off even for a little bit. I'm not saying you have, but sometimes it finds its way in there. It does sound like fin rot, but it seems as if you caught it early. A couple of salt baths should probably do the trick to put it away for good. You can find the info here :: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=25297 .
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #3 
BakaMandy

Can you get a picture?

He sounds like he should be doing fine. The black tips COULD just be natural coloration setting in if he's grown comfortable in his home.

As for the fin rot... could you describe his fins fraying at the edge/seemingly getting shorter, or are they curling? I haven't exactly seen the ventral fins have finrot, although I know they're really prone to curling.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 03:23 PM   #4 
adiumroot

29 gallon for a single betta? Wow that's a lot of space! hehe

a 2.5 to 5 gallon would be enough for a single betta, as long as you keep up with the maintenance.
adiumroot is offline   Reply With Quote