Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #1 
shealynn

Shes floating at the top...not dead!

Alright, so apparently in one of my tanks there was a bit of a fight and one of my female bettas had a portion of her tail bit off. Now her tail fin is C shaped and has a harder time swimming, but I'm noticing that she has a hard time controlling her buoyancy (I think that is the right word). She is always floating at the top nowadays just chillin. Should I be worried? She has her own bowl now, and I'm making sure the water is in good condition so she doesn't get tail rot..but is there something else wrong that she can't seem to control being deeper in the bowl?
shealynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #2 
BakaMandy

Is she bloated? sometimes fish have a hard time controlling their buoyancy if they have swimming bladder disorder. It's usually caused by overfeeding. Otherwise, can you describe other things, are her fins clamped? Is she eating? or anything else you might find unusual or strange?

Although I know that most bettas like to stay near the surface of the water. My girls generally don't swim down unless they're going to hide or sleep.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:24 PM   #3 
shealynn

She may be bloated.. I do love watching her eat..so I'll only feed her once a day and see how she handles that. She is eating though, which made me happy since I just got her like..2 days ago.

What do you mean by clamped?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:27 PM   #4 
BakaMandy

Like instead of having her fins spread out, her tail kinda folded together and her other fins are pressed against her body.

What are you feeding her? If you're feeding her flakes, I highly recommend you invest in pellets. 3 pellets twice a day is good enough for them, and on top of that are not as messy. Flakes just make it too easy to overfeed them.
Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM   #5 
shealynn

I have been feeding her flakes, luckily for me my cats ate/ spilled them all over my house so i need new food. It more looks like she is just relaxed with her fins instead of clamped. Do you recommend a certain brand of pellets?
Old 10-19-2009, 06:49 PM   #6 
BakaMandy

Well I heard Hikari, HBH and Top Fin are all good brands.

I just bought Top Fin pellets because I didn't want to trust this other brand of pellets that I'd been using anymore because I had been feeding it to a betta I'd been taking care that got dropsy.

Colour Enhancing pellets usually contain more nutrients.
Old 10-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hikari betta bio gold and Wardleys advanced betta pellets is what I use.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:06 AM   #8 
andrewr2488

Sorry if i am stealing your thread, i dont mean to but my female betta is having the same habits, i recently placed her into a 10g aquarium after i noticed she would usually only hangout at the top. She can go to the bottom but she usually doesnt stay down but maybe 5 seconds, then she seems to float back up slowly... i'm worried she might be experiencing a swim bladder disorder, tomorrow i'm going to try the pea trick. i wont feed her tomorrow besides the boiled pea. i've been feeding er aqua culture pellets, and today i bought top fin freeze dried blood worms. to the op, hope your fish gets better and ill let you know what happens tomorrow with betty (my female betta :D) maybe ours are experiencing the same problem.. i am sorry for stealing your thread i just didnt wanna make another thread for the same problem, hope you understand
andrewr2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:45 AM   #9 
BakaMandy

Freeze Dried foods are generally BAD and should only be used as treats. Because they contain no moisture, when your betta fish eats it and it absorbs water it can expand in your fish's stomach causing constipation!

Stick with pellets, just 3 fed twice a day, and fast them one day a week. Just pre-soaking them before feeding. It's safer AND healthier.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:51 AM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Freeze dried food needs to be rehydrated before using.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote