Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2009, 12:57 PM   #1 
Magdalaine

Exclamation Button tried a suicide dive!!

So I'm treating Button for a highly aggressive case of tail/fin rot and I did a complete disinfection of his bowl today. Well, while I was cleaning his bowl out, he decided to jump out of the mug I had him in. I ended up finding him very shortly after he jumped (he was still kinda flopping around), but he's not using his left pectoral fin and is missing a few scales now. He also looks awful since his slime coat pretty much sloughed off and he's barely moving.

I was disinfecting his bowl to start another round of Maracyn today which I have now added to the bowl, but I was wondering if there were any other measures I should be taking? I've already turned his bowl into a salt bath and I was already thinking of getting some Maracyn-Two tomorrow or Saturday since his fin rot is not improving at all (it's getting worse). Are there any other medications that would prevent infection and/or help clear up his fin/tail rot? I'm getting a little desperate at this point, he's had the fin/tail rot for almost two weeks now and even with Maracyn it's only gotten worse...

Sorry for the babbling... I'm still in heart-attack-where-did-my-fishy-go-holy-crap-he-jumped mode... *breathes* Any help would be appreciated!!
Magdalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #2 
ChristinaRoss

take a breath...........in...........and...............ou t

at least you found him in time.

do you have any stress coat? it helps add the slime coat back to the fish when its been injured
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #3 
Magdalaine

I put some stress coat is his bowl... he's very lethargic right now and looks a bit like he's shaking He's also beaching himself on his plant and mug and not moving except for some minor gill movement and occasionally going to the top to breathe. I hope he makes it, he's had some pretty rotten luck recently. I guess I'll pick up some Maracyn-Two tomorrow between classes and work and hope for the best...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #4 
ChristinaRoss

well hes probably in a state of shock and freaked out. maybe keep his tank dark and quiet so he bring his stress level down a bit too
Old 10-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #5 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with everything Christina said. The stresscoat should help his slime coat and keeping his tank dark and quiet should help too.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:10 PM   #6 
AlexXx

Ya i dropped a fish in the sink once, he was legthargic and even layed on his side for a day or so, but he was back to himself after that. Dont worry!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM   #7 
Magdalaine

He's finally perking up a bit and swimming around. What I'm really worried about is whether or not he'll get another infection on top of the nasty case of fin/tail rot that he already has.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #8 
ChloesMom

chloe likes to take the leap of faith probably once a month, even if i put something over the bowl when i clean her tank, she still manages to find her way out, she is always slow to come around but after about 16 hours max she is back to normal, i dont get her sometimes
ChloesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #9 
ChristinaRoss

magdalaine, have you tried a little aquarium salt in the water. it aids in prevention of infections

since i have so many bettas, i typically mix and dissolve 1 heaping tablespoon of aquarium salt to 5 gallons of water. then i change their water with it
Old 10-21-2009, 10:11 PM   #10 
Magdalaine

Thanks so much for being so nice! I worry so much about Button since he has the most rotten luck ever (fin/tail rot, tail biting, fungual infections, suicide dives...)! He's doing a lot better now, he's acting like his normal self and eating and being active but his fin/tail rot is getting progressively worse. I'm going to give the Maracyn until Saturday evening to stop the progression and then I'm probably moving on to a combo with Maracyn-Two or possibly something stronger...

Thanks all! I'm hoping Button recovers soon!