Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-19-2009, 01:04 PM   #1 
dramaqueen
Banned

Petsmart report

I went to Petsmart this morning, looking for glass gems, which I forgot, and a heater, wheich they didn't have. Of course, I looked at all the bettas. I went through every one of them and found 1 dead one, rotting in his cup (eeeuuwww!), another dead one and a female with sbd. I took 2 of them to one of the employees in the fish department and told her what I found. She didn't say a word! She just took them from me and I told her there's one more, I'll be back. So I got the other dead one and she still said nothing so as I was leaving, I said THANK YOU! THEN she finally said thanks for letting her know and then she said she hadn't been there for 4 days and hadn't looked for any dead/sick ones yet. They probably didn't get fed either!! She followed me to where the bettas are and we started talking. I told her I loved bettas and that I had 9. I then asked her about females and whether or not they can live together. I played dumb! lol She gave me the corredt info! I couldn't believe it! She told me yes they could and I asked what size tank she would recommend. She said 10 gallons with places for them to hide. What do you know? A petstore employee who actually knows something!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:30 PM   #2 
AlexXx

Sad about the fish, but that mortality report is nothing compared to some of the stores in my area.... But thats is AWESOME about that lady! Hopefully shes been helping others in your area out.
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:33 PM   #3 
doggyhog

That's great! I'm gonna play dumb next time I go to Petco. :D Hehe! I just hope they don't recognize me.
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:34 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Petsmart seems to take pretty good care of their fish overall. I do see dead ones every now and then. I think they are the ones who kind of fall through the cracks and get overlooked because there are so many.
Old 10-19-2009, 01:36 PM   #5 
TigerLily

It's always sad to find fish like that, even if it is all too common. :(
I'm glad that the girl was able to give you the right info though. That's so cool!
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Yay! An employee who knows something

When my dad first got the 50 gallon for his office three years ago, we lived near this AWESOME Petsmart. Of course, this was way before I got into bettas....but these guys did have a decent knowledge of their fish, now that I think back. When my dad brought the tank home after leaving that job and gave his JD away, I wanted to get a Angel fish....but they talked me out of it, saying that they got large and aggressive xD

Three years later, I finally do have my Angel fish....and hes a total sweatheart The only things he goes after are Platy fry

But, it was a decent Petsmart.

The LPS I have now doesn't know squat. I know that I know my way around the fish section better then most of the employees, and I even stepped in once to help this one woman with her sick goldfish when it was clear the girl working there had no clue what to do....and when my mom first got Max, they told her that she could put an ADF with him in a half gallon bowl, but she had to wait for good bacteria to establish first I know, right? Luckily, I knew better

....And thats enough of my rambling and hijacking DQs thread D:
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 01:50 PM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! You didn't hijack my thread. :)
Old 10-19-2009, 01:58 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
lol! You didn't hijack my thread. :)
Haha, I suppose its just me then....I always feel like that whenever I end up in rambling mode on someones thread
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #9 
deathofcontract

I just got back from petsmart; other than decent prices on tanks (just picked up a hoodless 10g for $13), I find this one to be pretty bad.

I've had 3 bettas, 2 from petsmart and 1 from petco. The 2 from petsmart died around 2 weeks each; one had velvet, the other had what I thought was possible a bacterial infection. I treated him for a day, and he passed that night :(. I'm probably never going to buy a fish there again; all of their bettas are sluggish, and it's just a sin to see them all depressed. On top of that, an employee told me that not only do I not need a filter, but that I can put my betta in something that resembles the cube from Hellraiser and it'd be ok. What the heck?
deathofcontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:51 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

All of mine but 1 have come from Petsmart and I haven't had any problem with them.