Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-06-2013, 07:54 PM   #1 
zombieaddict

Rodent Rescue

So when I was getting feeders for my snakes, a little white baby rat caught my attention and interacted with my finger when I wiggled it in front of the tank. I spent two days thinking about the cutie before going back to the store and spending $10 to get him and a water bottle. I turned an old plastic storage bin into an enclosure with the help of a power drill, am using shredded newspaper for substrate, shredded paper towels for bedding, and I made a little cardboard house with four levels inside and four holes for poking out.

I believe that this little one is a female because I see no sign of boybits but who knows. Either way, it's name is Whitey. It might not seem very creative, but it's actually fitting in with my Wonderland themed names(Whitey being the sexy brit in a bowler from Malice in Wonderland).

Anyway, here's a video of Whitey enjoying an apple core and some cheerios in the comfort of the "mouse house".

http://s45.photobucket.com/user/stra...593cc.mp4.html

It's crazy how sweet and tame this little rat fated for feedings turned out to be!

Last edited by zombieaddict; 12-06-2013 at 08:01 PM.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #2 
registereduser

LOL @ boybits
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #3 
zombieaddict

lol well it was the most appropriate wording I could think of since I know that youthful eyes browse this forum.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #4 
RainbowhLizzie

Oh my gawsh, the baby! She is so cute.
And I agree with the fact that feeder rats are one of the sweetest! My little girl, Patrick, use to sneak out of her cage to snuggle with me at night and alwayd gave me kisses when crawling around me. And she almost became snake chow before I bought her.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
RainbowhLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:21 AM   #5 
sandybottom
Reference Team

cute. just a word of caution,they can easily chew through plastic in no time.keep an eye out for a metal cage with 1/2" spacing.they also need the extra airflow.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:05 PM   #6 
Gizmothefreaky

be careful feeding apple to rats!! D: Apple seeds contain arsenic and can kill your sweet baby in no time I'd they eat too many.

If you ever need to know anything about caring for ratties, let me know! I ran an actual rat rescue for years.
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:58 PM   #7 
thekinetic

Dawww cute!
thekinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 AM   #8 
zombieaddict

I am familiar with the seeds being dangerous. I owned a couple of rats several years ago with a roomie and she always insisted on diligence in preparing their foods. So I actually picked the seeds out before I gave her the rind so I could let her chew on it without having to worry about just that.

As far as chewing on plastic, I used holes that were small enough that I didn't think she'd be able to get her teeth at the edges to gnaw easily but I do intend to keep an eye and will upgrade her as necessary.

Thank you guys for the tips though! Those are two important things for a newbie rat owner to know.

From the looks of it, Whitey needs to do some chewing though. I don't know if rat teeth are like rabbit teeth but I assume they also need to wear their teeth down and hers look longer than they probably should be. I've given her cardboard to chew on but is there anything else you guys might recommend that would help wear her teeth down?

Anyway, just finished a fourteen hour shift, so it's time for me to pass out.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #9 
Gizmothefreaky

If you can get it, funny enough, Apple wood, like the branches from the tree, are very good. And they sell chewable huts at most pet stores and even Walmart that my ratties loved. :3
Gizmothefreaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #10 
MCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieaddict View Post

As far as chewing on plastic, I used holes that were small enough that I didn't think she'd be able to get her teeth at the edges to gnaw easily but I do intend to keep an eye and will upgrade her as necessary.

Holes dirlled into the plastic isn't enough ventilation. Storage containers in general are unsuitable to hosue rodents in unless you modifiy the lid in such a way to attach a large mesh wire basket or hardware cloth to it. I kept a gerbil and later a mouse in a clear plastic container that had a large mesh basket fitted upside down into the lid for ventilation.

Your rat would be much happier and healthier in a wire mesh cage. Or large 20 gallon long aquiarium with a tank topper.

Quote:
From the looks of it, Whitey needs to do some chewing though. I don't know if rat teeth are like rabbit teeth but I assume they also need to wear their teeth down and hers look longer than they probably should be. I've given her cardboard to chew on but is there anything else you guys might recommend that would help wear her teeth down?
All rodents have continuously growing teeth. Rabbits, too, but rabbits aren't rodents, they're lagamorphs. Pet stores sell various wooden and other chew things for rodents and rabbits. Unscented cardboard tubes and boxes are good, too. Regular paper towel and toilet paper tubes are thin so they don't help the teeth much. But you can take one tube and insert several more tubes inside of it (might have to fold them a bit) to make a harder tube for gnawing on. I used to give my gerbils really thick hard cardboard tubes to gnaw on. Most of the tubes I got from a school bathroom that always had nearly empty commerical toilet paper rolls lying around Craigslist and FreeCycle.org are places where you can post a wanted ad for free cardboard tubes to keep up with your rat's gnawing needs :) After all, who doesn't use toilet paper and paper towels? It's good way to recycle those emtpy tubes. Staples and ther office supply stores that has a printing center might have thick cardboard tubes. Rolls of paper comes on the tubes for the giant printers. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
MCW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy, feeder, rat, rescue