I received two betta fish, kind of as a gift. Long story, short: I kept them in two separate 1 gallon bowls for two weeks, one died (partially to over-feeding) and that prompted me to research proper betta care.
I moved my remaining betta to a heated, filtered 10 gallon aquarium with a couple of decorations, a big log to hide in and several fake plants. I have read many, many forum posts on this site since my first betta died and I'm becoming a much better betta owner! But, I still have a few questions:
• How often should I clean my tank? Weekly? And how much water should I replace? 20%? 50%?
• How do you judge when to clean your tank? All I have is one betta fish. Should I just clean it once a week religiously? Or should I be taking water measurements/tests and deciding each week if it needs to be cleaned?
• I know I'm supposed to rinse the filter in the old tank water. Should I remove all of the decorations and plants and rinse them too?
• Do you leave your betta in the tank and vacuum around him?
• A friend of mine gave me her old gravel vacuum (she had gold fish) and it isn't the cleanest tube I've ever seen. Is that okay since the water I'm removing isn't going back into the tank? Or should I attempt to clean the siphon with something? (With what?)