Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #1 
newtobettas

Proper Cleaning

I received two betta fish, kind of as a gift. Long story, short: I kept them in two separate 1 gallon bowls for two weeks, one died (partially to over-feeding) and that prompted me to research proper betta care.

I moved my remaining betta to a heated, filtered 10 gallon aquarium with a couple of decorations, a big log to hide in and several fake plants. I have read many, many forum posts on this site since my first betta died and I'm becoming a much better betta owner! But, I still have a few questions:

FREQUENCY

• How often should I clean my tank? Weekly? And how much water should I replace? 20%? 50%?
• How do you judge when to clean your tank? All I have is one betta fish. Should I just clean it once a week religiously? Or should I be taking water measurements/tests and deciding each week if it needs to be cleaned?

RINSING

• I know I'm supposed to rinse the filter in the old tank water. Should I remove all of the decorations and plants and rinse them too?

VACUUMING

• Do you leave your betta in the tank and vacuum around him?
• A friend of mine gave me her old gravel vacuum (she had gold fish) and it isn't the cleanest tube I've ever seen. Is that okay since the water I'm removing isn't going back into the tank? Or should I attempt to clean the siphon with something? (With what?)

Last edited by newtobettas; 11-25-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling error
newtobettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 AM   #2 
Mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtobettas View Post
I received two betta fish, kind of as a gift. Long story, short: I kept them in two separate 1 gallon bowls for two weeks, one died (partially to over-feeding) and that prompted me to research proper betta care.

I moved my remaining betta to a heated, filtered 10 gallon aquarium with a couple of decorations, a big log to hide in and several fake plants. I have read many, many forum posts on this site since my first betta died and I'm becoming a much better betta owner!

good for you for doing your research! Most people don't even think twice about Betta care.

But, I still have a few questions:

FREQUENCY

• How often should I clean my tank? Weekly? And how much water should I replace? 20%? 50%?
For one fish in an established and cycled ten gallon I would personally just do 20-25% water changes
• How do you judge when to clean your tank? All I have is one betta fish. Should I just clean it once a week religiously? Or should I be taking water measurements/tests and deciding each week if it needs to be cleaned?
Ideally you should be testing your water with every water change to check to make sure that water parameters are normal, if you notice anything over .25 ppm of ammonia I would immediately do a 50% water change but with just one Betta you shouldn't have any issues with water conditions

RINSING

• I know I'm supposed to rinse the filter in the old tank water. Should I remove all of the decorations and plants and rinse them too?
I only rinse the filters whenever they get clogged which has only happened once, lol. I'm not much to disturb my fish so I don't clean my filter much or my decorations, usually I just clean the decorations in tap water since they don't have enough beneficial bacteria to really make a huge difference, so I usually don't worry about it but it is a good idea to wash the filter in old tank water every few months or as you like
VACUUMING

• Do you leave your betta in the tank and vacuum around him?
I do, just make sure he doesn't get sucked in, lol >.<
• A friend of mine gave me her old gravel vacuum (she had gold fish) and it isn't the cleanest tube I've ever seen. Is that okay since the water I'm removing isn't going back into the tank? Or should I attempt to clean the siphon with something? (With what?)
honestly, I would just go and spend the extra 8-10 dollars at Walmart, Petco or petsmart or buy an aquarium siphon on eBay, (they are cheap and work well) because, and no offense to your friend or how she cared for that fish, but you can never be sure what diseases that goldfish carried those are carried over to the vacuum and those can get in your tank which would not be good for the health of your Betta
good luck with your fish and I hoped I did a good job at answering your questions!

~Mo
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:43 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

I wold get new siphon too;)And hang the siphon vertically after each use so all water drip out and not sit there .

Last edited by ANHEL123; 11-25-2013 at 03:46 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 03:45 PM   #4 
sunlight

Make sure the filter not too strong for your betta.

The only thing i would swish/rinse the filter media weekly in the tank water because filters can gather a lot of gunk on them and it all go to the water.Water testing involves looking for things like ammonia. However it won't tell you about other contaminants or bacterial levels. So i really think that additional water changes are helpful. And filters cleaning i think really important. I think my first betta didn't live long because i never cleaned the filters
sunlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:13 PM   #5 
newtobettas

Thanks for all of your answers! I was really hoping I could somehow sanitize the siphon with hot water or something else. Oh well.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #6 
newtobettas

@Mo – You said you rinse your decorations in tap water. Do you do that every week? Or just once in a while?

Last edited by newtobettas; 11-25-2013 at 06:15 PM. Reason: mentioned @Mo
Old 11-25-2013, 06:21 PM   #7 
Mo

Just once in a while only when they look really dirty
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:45 PM   #8 
newtobettas

Awesome, thanks!
Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #9 
newtobettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunlight View Post
Make sure the filter not too strong for your betta.
I don't think the outflow is too strong for him, but he is very curious about the intake. He swam over to it immediately and got stuck to it. I have turned the filter off (it's only been a few days and I've been doing partial water changes), but tomorrow I am going to get a nylon stocking to cover the intake so his fins don't get caught.

Will the nylon prevent him from getting stuck? Or will it only prevent damage? Not sure what "too strong" means to a betta. Is this a sign that my filter is too strong?
Old 11-26-2013, 01:31 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

I don't have filters in my tanks so i am not experienced sorry...i can't answered it. Mo will probobly or sunlight will see your question and help you:) If you don't get an answer i would make another thread about it.
Also make sure you do extra water changes and test the water for the ammonia spike. I don't think it good when you turn the filter off. So definitely do water changes....
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cleaning, maintenance