Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #11 
Mo

The nylon usually only prevents damage. What works best IMO/E is wrapping an aquarium sponge around the intake
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:48 PM   #12 
clementchee

I have a pipette ready for sucking up poops and removing them as I have small tanks for all my bettas.

But if you have stones at the bottom of your tank, yeah, gravel vacuum is ideal I guess.
clementchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:01 AM   #13 
newtobettas

The nylon is on the filter and my fish hasn't got stuck yet. I put a taller plant in front of the filter to help with the intake, because I think at first it was a little strong for him. But now he is fine, swimming normally. He seems to like to swim behind the filter for some reason, but I've been keeping an eye on him and he hasn't gotten stuck or come near the intake. So I think we're all good. The outflow is very quiet and doesn't seem to bother him.
newtobettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #14 
Ilikebutterflies

If the filter intake is still too strong you can drill the uptake tube full of small holes. I'm guessing you are going to do a "fish in" cycle on your tank. Keep an eye on the ammonia. You could also invest in a small long handled stiff bristle brush. It comes in handy for cleaning your filter tubes, siphon and fake plants. Once your tank has cycled you can change out about 25% of the water every two weeks-probably the amount you will need to replace when vacuuming any way. If you stock your tank to the limit you will probably need to change 25% of the water every week.

You may or may not wish to add aquarium, rock or kosher salt to your water. 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons is a general guideline that keeps most fish funk at bay. That works out to a generous 1/2 tsp per gallon.

You can use vinegar to sanitize things you use for your fish.

I'm not sure what lights you have on your tank but is they are incandescent you will want to switch the bulbs to mini cfl. Pick the lowest wattage you can fine. Pick the "daylight" or 6500K color temperature. Incandescent will just grow algae.

You will probably need to do "tank maintenance" every other week. That involves wiping down the inside of the glass and possibly cleaning decorations. You can get an algae eating snail for that chore as well. Don't get an "algae eater" or sucker fish (pleco) because they make a lot of waste and as they get bigger they don't clean as well. 10g is also likely too small for most plecos.

You can get more fish for your tank but choose carefully. Some do best in schools, some are too nippy to keep with betta, some will get attacked by betta. Wait until your tank cycles before adding any other inhabitants though. I have had good results with Tetra Safe Start.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:24 PM   #15 
newtobettas

@Ilikebutterflies – I read a sticky that said I should do 50% water changes and gravel vacuum weekly for a 10 gallon tank with a filter. Is that not the case?

I'll probably add some ghost shrimp eventually. How do I know when my tank has cycled?

(I am very new to fish keeping and, yeah, I've learned I should have cycled my tank before I added my fish. But, he seems to be doing just fine, so I'll just keep that in mind for the future.)
Old 11-28-2013, 08:26 AM   #16 
Mo

50% water changes are definitely not needed unless your tank isn't cycled yet
Old 11-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #17 
newtobettas

How do I know when my tank is cycled? Sorry. I'm new to the concept.
Old 11-28-2013, 08:53 AM   #18 
Mo

I know there I a guide to cycling, let me find it for you

~Mo
Old 11-28-2013, 08:55 AM   #19 
Mo

Beginners Guide to the FreshWater Aquarium Cycle

Guide to Tank Cycling
Old 11-29-2013, 08:42 PM   #20 
newtobettas

Great! Thanks so much. That "Beginners Guide" made SO. MUCH. SENSE. I get it now!

Tags
cleaning, maintenance