Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #1 
JaspersANGEL

Post Feeding habits!

I feed my jasper just one pellet a day now tho he keeps on asking for more *LoL* that fish will keep eating until he busts, I started out feeding him 3 pellets a day but at night time I noticed he was bloated, then I cut him down to 2 pellets a day..same problem..a bit bloated. I feed him one a day now and he looks good.

I feed him one pellet a day now, once a day and on Wednesdays i fast him now and do his water change and after the water change I give him a bloodworm treat. And on week ends it's two betta flakes, but on special days (like Halloween and holidays) it's two bloodworms.

Is it normal that he keeps on begging for more food after i give him his daily pellet..I feel bad watching him begging, am i starving him or something...
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #2 
Jupiter

Normally people feed 2/3 in the morning and 2/3 at night. But if he's getting bloated...do you soak the pellets before you give it to him?

But it's normal for bettas to beg, lol. I feed my girls two (some of them might get more if they bully and push another girl out of the way, lol) each feeding and they'll follow me around the room and beg for more. Gloria jumps whenever I get near if she thinks she's going to get food!
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:32 PM   #3 
deathofcontract

I give Orbit 3 in the morning, 3 in the evening. He's a big boy, so he needs his nutrients!

What are your thoughts on fasting the fish for a day?
deathofcontract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:45 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

Most members fast their fish one day a week to help clean out their digestive tracts.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #5 
JaspersANGEL

@deathofcotract: I read on here somewhere I think that it is good to fast them for a day in the week.

Is this really good or should I stop

@Jupiter: No I don't soak the pellets before I give them to him, I meant to try it tho. When I bought the pellets, the package said to feed 3 to 4 pellets once a day, I thought 4 was to much so I fed him 3 once a day.

should I try to feed him 3 pellets again but I'll soak them before
how do u soak them
Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 AM   #6 
BakaMandy

Just put them in like a drop of water in a plate or something.

I soak mine in the inside of a jar lid. I make a few drops of water then put three pellets in each drop for the number of fish I'm feeding.

But if he's getting bloated eating pellets, it probably means he's constipated. It happens when you don't properly soak your foods.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #7 
ChristinaRoss

i usually only soak my pellets for my sorority tank, some of the girls are small and the pellets are too big for their mouths. lol

but i feed my boys 2 in the am and 2 in the pm and never fast them and ive never had one get bloated either
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #8 
BettaxFishxCrazy

One of my CT's ALWAYS gets bloated after every feeding, nothing too bad, just a little bump. So now I'm starting to soak the pellets for him b/c he doesn't let them soak before he eats them. As soon as I drop them in his tank, he gobbles them up so I think that's why. I feed mine 3/4 pellets a day and I fast them every Friday because I read that it's good for their digestive systems, but that's totally up to you.
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 AM   #9 
JaspersANGEL

I'll experiment tomorrow soaking 2 pellets in water like you guys said.

@BettaxFishxCrazy: ya he used to wait till they sank to the bottom (helping by grabbing them in his mouth then spitting them out) then eats them, but not anymore. He makes me laugh with his feeding habits, I'm afraid I have a lil' piggy on my hands *LoL*

another question: do you do the same wit freeze dried bloodworms, let them soak before giving them to the fish...
Old 10-21-2009, 06:17 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yes, soak all freeze dried food before feeding.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote