Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #1 
GalaxyOfTea

Please help! Very sick betta!

Hi all, I came to this community because I desperately need help to figure out what is wrong with my betta fish.

I have a Veiltail betta fish, named Cthulhu, that I got from Petco about a month and a half ago and he has been in good condition until recently.

Cthulhu's colors are normally a dark blue (almost black) body with royal blue and orange fins. However earlier this week I noticed him getting pale-ish in the face, so I checked the water and everything checked out perfectly fine. Then suddenly his tail started getting a lighter shade, he was lethargic, and not eating much, so I did a 25% water change and checked the levels and everything was fine.

THEN, his two tank mates and him got Ich and so I put him away from them in a separate, smaller fish bowl, as I've been in the process of eradicating them all of Ich (as well as the tank).

Today however (11/25/13) I came home and his tail had a clear white line going across it (as seen in photos below) and everything blow the line was turning a grey-ish black color. Cthulhu will not eat anything, his gills are puffed out (but not discolored), his body is no longer dark, he has Ich specks, and he will rarely move.

My question is: Are these symptoms all attributed to Ich? OR is there something else causing this to happen to my poor Cthulhu?

TANK INFORMATION:
  • Tank Mates: Two Neon Tetras
  • Tank Size: 10 Gal.
  • Ammonia Levels: .25 ppm
  • PH: 7.4
  • Nitrite: .25 ppm
  • Nitrate: 10 ppm
  • Water Temperature: 79 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Filter Type: Tetra Whisper 10i
  • Food Type: BettaMin Tropical Medley, Betta Dial-A-Treat (Blood Worms, Mysis, Daphina)
  • Water Conditioner: Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus
  • ADDITIONAL NOTE: I do not have a proper water heating device and currently I am using a lamp that does effectively keep the water temperature between 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

TEMPORARY TANK (ONE HE IS IN CURRENTLY):
  • Tank Mates: NONE
  • Tank Size: 1 Gal.
  • Ammonia Levels: .25 ppm
  • PH: 7.4
  • Nitrite: 0 ppm
  • Nitrate: 20 ppm
  • Water Temperature: 79 degrees Fahrenheit
  • Filter Type: NONE
  • Food Type: BettaMin Tropical Medley, Betta Dial-A-Treat (Blood Worms, Mysis, Daphina)
  • Water Conditioner: Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus
  • ADDITIONAL NOTE: I do not have a proper water heating device and currently I am using a lamp that does effectively keep the water temperature between 78-80 degrees Fahrenheit.

PHOTOS:

GalaxyOfTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It sounds like all this is just Ich. Paling in color is due to stress, whether from situational stress or disease stress.

You should put him back in the original tank, once Ich is in the tank then it's infecting everyone so there's no point in separating him. So what you need to do is definitely get a heater, here's a great one for cheap! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 If you can, get the 50 watt one for the 10 gallon. I suggest adjustable one because you can cure Ich with just high heat (86-88 degrees) and daily water changes.

If you can't get the heater right away, start with daily water changes. Ammonia and Nitrite about zero is bad so you'll need to keep that down by doing the water changes. Take out at least 50% each day if you can. Do you have a gravel vacuum?

One last question, how fast did that grey come on and is it still progressing?
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 
redthebetta

First of all, thanks for putting so much info, alot of people just do this: HELP MYYYY!! MY FSH HAS A BIG LINE ON ITS TIL! HES DIING! Anyways, +1 to all that lil said, it's all great info! In addition, all fish store will have anti-ich meds, even my local Walmart (I live in a 10 000 person town!). It may also be called anti-ick. Pick some of that up and keep his water warm and clean. Good luck!
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:18 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Meds aren't needed for Ich actually, just the heat and daily water changes. So you can spend money on a not adjustable heater and ich meds and spend more money or just get an adjustable heater and set it higher and voila, fish are good.

However, that grey area really worries me.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #5 
redthebetta

Yea, but it can't hurt. I can't really see in the photos but does he look anything like the bettas pictured here: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:24 PM   #6 
IanHulett

I probably may not be 100% accurate because I just lost my female, Gena about a half an hour ago due to what I suspect may be fin rot, poor water quality, or both. Someone else believes it may have been swim bladder issues. But despite all this, I'll give it a shot.

I think it is interesting how your fish are coming down with Ich when Ich is a cold water parasite because your temperature is just the way it needs to be. I have no clue how the Ich is managing to survive that high of a temperature. As for your nitrite, ammonia and nitrate levels, I think they may be too high. It would probably be safe to find a way to decrease the levels.

If the water change didn't do anything to those levels, considder switching your substrate. I see you are using large rocks for your substrate. That will trap food underneath perfectly which will decay raising your ammonia levels to dangerous heights. A suitable substrate for your betta is either sand or pebbles(Although I try to avoid pebbles if I can and just stick to sand). I would never use stones. Pebbles are only good if you have a gravel vacuum, otherwise stick with sand. With sand, any food you feed him that sinks will rest on the top and remain in plain sight. Therefore, either A) the betta will see the food sitting there and go in for a nice tasty munch or you will see it and be able to fish it out with a fishing net.

As for curing him, like I said, I failed with trying to cure Gena so I'm unable to help there.

Last edited by IanHulett; 11-25-2013 at 06:28 PM.
IanHulett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #7 
Valuta8

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
Please check out this thread. I'm concerned your fish may have this disease that's been spreading around. Nothing much is known about it and it's pretty new, but very deadly. :(
Valuta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #8 
Bailmint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valuta8 View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=90086
Please check out this thread. I'm concerned your fish may have this disease that's been spreading around. Nothing much is known about it and it's pretty new, but very deadly. :(
Its possible...but I am not sure, I actually guessed this disease when I read this though.
Bailmint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

It's actually not new. It's pretty old by now and it's a form of Mycobacteria. Myco is uncurable and spreads quickly. If the one fish has it, the entire tank is infected and if you have other tanks and you share equipment then your other fish will have it as well.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:50 PM   #10 
GalaxyOfTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilnaugrim View Post
It sounds like all this is just Ich. Paling in color is due to stress, whether from situational stress or disease stress.

You should put him back in the original tank, once Ich is in the tank then it's infecting everyone so there's no point in separating him. So what you need to do is definitely get a heater, here's a great one for cheap! http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...8&pcatid=11368 If you can, get the 50 watt one for the 10 gallon. I suggest adjustable one because you can cure Ich with just high heat (86-88 degrees) and daily water changes.

If you can't get the heater right away, start with daily water changes. Ammonia and Nitrite about zero is bad so you'll need to keep that down by doing the water changes. Take out at least 50% each day if you can. Do you have a gravel vacuum?

One last question, how fast did that grey come on and is it still progressing?
I just ordered the heater for the tank and got some Ich medicine for them as well.

Also I do have a gravel vacuum already, and the color change was pretty dramatic. About two days ago I noticed his face was slightly pale, but it was barely noticeable. Yesterday I noticed his tail lightning up a bit, but within 12 hours of seeing his tail only slightly discolored, it got completely discolored.
GalaxyOfTea is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discoloration, disease help, lethargic betta, sick betta, veiltail betta