Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #21 
TigerLily

I just got back from our local pet store. I was looking through their bettas and came across a lovely red/orange male...except he was missing his tail! All he had left was a little nub with a tiny amount of discolored fin. I think he was being cared for, as he was on a work table and there were meds beside him, but the fact that they let him get that bad is just pathetic.

I kept digging, and stuffed in the back of the shelf, behind all of the other cups, was a single female with a torn tail. She was surrounded by gorgeous male crowns and I couldn't help but think:
"She'll sit here, forgotten and unnoticed because of all these pretty boys. Who would adopt poor her with all of them around? Me, that's who."

I ended up feeling so sorry for her that I got her, and right now I have her in a two gallon bowl so she can take her time and recover, after which I'll wait for a good time to safely introduce her into the new sorority. I wish I had room to get that poor male too. I feel bad for leaving him there.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:10 PM   #22 
CodeRed

Yeah, I feel guilty D: I still feel guilty about leaving behind a gorgeous marble crowntail, but I was faced with the decision of him or Vulcan. My heart went to Vulcan, and the decision was made. I went back a couple of weeks later, and he was still there, but it was medication run, so I couldn't get him. He had algae in his water though, and he had labored breathing. I don't doubt the poor little guy soon passed on. It still makes me feel terrible, because I had the chance to save him ):
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:56 PM   #23 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have an employee at Petsmart on the lookout for an orange one for me. She said she'd put them in the back for me.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #24 
AlexXx

ohhh drama queen! is that your new ct! very pretty! i saw one like that today, it was awesome!

I saw many dead ones today :( they still have not changed water from LAST tuesday, there is still a dead one sitting there... who knows if they even fed them!
AlexXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:11 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

lol! Yep, that's Morgan. :)
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:17 PM   #26 
veganchick

I don't get pet store fishies, but I have a small fish (and now snake!!!!!) rescue in my basement, and i feel terrible if therer is an ill fish that I can't take in, or at a high kill animal shelter that I volunteer at that I can't adopt the dogs that are put down. We can't save them all, but we can do our best to prevent this from happening by not supporting chain stores with ill-treated bettas (even if the bettas look sad) and getting rescue, or breeder betta fish.
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #27 
Leatree

I feel bad for all the fish at Wal-Mart to be honest and if I had the time, money and room I'd save all the bettas....and even the half the others random fish they have. I know they don't take care of the poor fish and the reasons are more than obvious. I picked up my Betta from Walmart one because of my son and the other was because he was the saddest looking one. Though now there are a few more bettas and they are in worse condition than what mine was when I got him. :(
Honestly it's one thing I wish wal-mart didn't have since they don't even take the time to take care of the fish.
Leatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #28 
Magdalaine

It is so nice to know all of you! I totally loved your story TigerLily, it's the same way I ended up getting Fishstick. I went to my LPS and was just looking around to kill time and he was looking so sad and lethargic next to this pretty metallic blue girl that i had to take him home. Now I really want to rescue another fish... *sigh* I want to save them all!
Magdalaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:44 AM   #29 
Bettabubble3

Once at walmart there was a fish with no water for him to move in. I looked around and turned the faucet on in his cup so he could atleast move. :)
Bettabubble3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:26 AM   #30 
Elaina

Yes I definitely feel bad when I can't get some bettas. There is this cellophane delta with forest green on its fins at petco, and he's been there for the past 2 weeks. The first time I saw him he was almost dead, but I went there yesteday, and he was still there. I just don't have the space for him
Elaina is offline   Reply With Quote