Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-26-2013, 02:50 AM   #1 
superditzz

New Tank Suggestions?

This is my first real fish tank! I had a betta in high school, but.... hem....my cat ate it. I have one (beautiful) betta whom I have named Alphie because he is THE alpha male in the tank, and three white cloud minnows I have dubbed the triplets. I also added a real plant, an anubias nana plant. The tank is a Fluval Chi, which received some iffy reviews, but fit in my VERY tiny apartment. I have a lid so they are safe from the cat. I let the water cycle for 2 weeks before adding any fish and checked all of the water levels. The only issue I have is the water hardness, which I am hoping doesn't matter much? I know that the plant will grow, but it looks empty right now. I plan on adding a ghost shrimp in the next few weeks, but I wanted to see how these fish react first. For a first aquarium I think it is pretty, but will it work? Have I made a mistake? I don't want to hurt my fish....
Attached Images

superditzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:04 AM   #2 
valefish

Your tank is pretty! From my research I've learned water hardness depends on the fish. Some require hard, some soft. A lot can tolerate water hardness levels but it can decrease their life expectancy. I live in an area with harder water qualities and my betta is doing just fine.
valefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #3 
superditzz

I have read that the white cloud prefer soft water, but how do you get soft water? Can you tell I am really new at this?
Old 11-26-2013, 11:29 AM   #4 
sandybottom
Reference Team

what is your ph and kh at? stable ph is more important than slightly high or low ph.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:55 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Double check the requirements for your White Clouds. I don;t think they need particularly soft water. They do need cooler temperatures than your Betta.

Running the tank for a couple of weeks does not get it cycled. Read the cycling stickies, especially this one. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

Make sure your cycle is well-established before adding shrimp. They need pristine water quality.

More plants is always better. Get more Anubias and float it to provide shade and resting and hiding places for your Betta. Java fern is also easy to take care of, as is Java moss and moss balls.

Last edited by Hallyx; 11-26-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 02:00 PM   #6 
superditzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Double check the requirements for your White Clouds. I don;t think they need particularly soft water. They do need cooler temperatures than your Betta.

Running the tank for a couple of weeks does not get it cycled. Read the cycling stickies, especially this one. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...ecific-107771/

Make sure your cycle is well-established before adding shrimp. They need pristine water quality.

More plants is always better. Get more Anubias and float it to provide shade and resting and hiding places for your Betta. Java fern is also easy to take care of, as is Java moss and moss balls.

Thanks for the info about the shrimp! I have the temp set to about 72, which was in the range for both. I worried about too many plants, are there other easy ones that float? Also, I read that nitrogen cycling takes longer, but this was brand new water with no nitrogen, should it take longer too? Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2013, 02:25 PM   #7 
RussellTheShihTzu

You'll need a well-established tank with lots and lots of live plants and places to hide to prevent shrimp death. Like Hallyx said, they need pristine water conditions. IMO, tank should be fully-cycled for at least two months.

Brazilian Pennywort, Cabomba and Anacharis are fairly easy-to-keep floating plants. You can also weight them down and let them arch over...very graceful. You need something tall that your Betta can rest on.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #8 
Crowntails

Bettas prefer their water temperature at 78-80 degrees. I would re-home the minnows or put them in a new tank.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #9 
superditzz

Thanks, I guess the white cloud will be getting new home after I go to the store. I will buy some more plants too! Thanks for the suggestions. When I checked the water the ph was 7.5, there was no nitrogen but the general hardness was 120 (ppm). The ph has stayed the same since I set up the tank. There is some cloudiness, but I think that it comes from the bubbles. I dislike the way the filter works, it gets in the way and the current is too strong. I have already ordered a new one. I think this tank has some form over function issues.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:23 PM   #10 
superditzz

Okay, one more question. Should I just leave Alphie the Betta in the 5 gallon tank by himself? Should I give him a shrimp friend? If I get him a girlfriend can I prevent babies? Or is 5 gallons really good for him being alone?