Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 AM   #1 
AndiH

Changing colors?

I've noticed over the last few days that Schroeder's lost the turquoise color on his head and it now looks a rusty black which is spreading onto his back. His body looks less vibrant as well. I know young bettas can change color so is this what is happening?
AndiH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #2 
k stiles

Location: on a high cliff above the sky, watching over the earth, there I stand...
I think he is going through color changing. Some bettas do some don't, some go through a huge change, others (like my Lync he is my avatar) only get a little darker. It is nothing to be worried about trust me Well not he is acting wierd, than go asking around on this site, the people here are really helpful. =-)
k stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #3 
ChloesMom

if the water starts to get too cold they tend to lose their vibrant colors
ChloesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #4 
AndiH

Okay things are worse. THe area that was turning brown-black now has a white fuzz growing on it. I've put him in a quarantine tank and am heating it the best I can and I gave him a salt water dip as well. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #5 
flying fish

Location: On the tree with the Rabid Chipmunk in the Canadian Rocky Mountains.
Fuzz?
Like, FUZZ?
Awh, Im sorry, I dont know much, so, good luck!
flying fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #6 
ChristinaRoss

sounds like fungus, id be treating with marycin or marycin 2 myself
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:43 PM   #7 
PinkDiamond

The two things that you probably want to do are check your water parameters and treat the illness. (I'm saying this from doing a LOT of reading on betta illnesses, but I've never personally dealt with symptoms like your betta's).

What size of a tank is your betta in? And is it filtered and/or heated?

You'll want to check the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate. Ammonia and nitrite should be 0, and nitrate should be 10PPM at most. If any of these levels are too high, you might need to step up your water change schedule, consider a larger tank if he's in something smaller than 2.5 gallons, and/or consider a cycled tank if yours isn't currently cycled. (Fishless is, in my opinion, the best and most humane cycling method) Creating ideal water parameters is essential for healing and future disease prevention, as bad water conditions often contribute to or cause fish illnesses. Also, a temperature lower than 74-76 degrees is usually too chilly for a betta and will weaken their immune system, leaving them more vulnerable to diseases and less able to heal. So temperature of the betta's tank needs to be considered as well.

As for the illness itself, from what I've read, it's likely that it could be a bacteria - the symptoms sound to me like Columnaris, which you might want to look up and check the symptoms for. Cottony white patches are a symptom of this illness, and here's a link to a description of it from one site:

http://www.nippyfish.net/flexibacter.html

Note that this illness is sometimes nicknamed as a "fungus," but it is in fact a bacteria and should be treated as such. In the alternative, it could also be a fungus, but it was my understanding that a true fungus is less common in bettas than Columnaris - please correct me if I'm wrong.

And from the same site, here's an article on general disease treatment that I find helpful - it discusses a little more the steps you should take before launching into treatment of the illness itself.

http://www.nippyfish.net/illnessanddisease.html

Best of luck with your little guy, hope he's feeling better soon!
PinkDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #8 
ChristinaRoss

being that columnaris is extremely viral and contagious, id go with treating for that first. if it doesnt improve within 4-5 days id then treat for a bacterial fungus. being that columnaris is usually more deadly than a fungus if not treated immediately
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:40 AM   #9 
AndiH

Sorry got busy and just got back to this. More patches developed and it looks like its body/fin fungus. Parameters were fine (checked them earlier the day I found it). He's in a 14g with 4 cories. ATM hes in a 1g hospital tank. I was doing salt baths and isolation until I could get to the store and there I bought tons of stuff lol. Since I worry about drug resistance, I decided to try a nonpharmaceutical first, Pimafix. This doesnt seem to be moving that fast so its worth a try for a couple days I think
Old 10-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #10 
Calmwaters

I have tried Pimafix on other fish not bettas and have had good results. Good luck with your guys I hope he gets well soon.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote