Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
KeshiaB

Ugh algae... so we meet again!

My beautiful white gravel is turning brown! There's a reddish brown algae growing all over my gravel, decor and now on the glass. This is my first big algae bloom so I'm not entirely sure what the best plan of attack is...

My tank is planted so I don't want to pull out all the plants to clean the gravel. I'm thinking I might do a big water change, leave the tank lights off for three days and reduce feeding to only mornings. Does this sound OK?

Or, should I do something else? Maybe get a Malaysian Trumpet Snail or some Amano Shrimp? So far only my Betta lives in the tank, and being 32L I've decided its probably too small for Dwarf Cory's, so I was planning on getting some shrimp at some stage instead, and maybe a snail.

Anyone have any suggestions for my algae infestation?
Posted via Mobile Device
KeshiaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 03:16 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Sadly, that pretty white gravel rarely ever stays white...might stay off white....It sounds like a normal diatom from either a new setup, old light bulbs, wrong color temp bulbs or light not on long enough and a few other light related problems.

What kind of plants and how many, (can you post a pic) what kind of lights, age of bulbs, kelvin, watts, photoperiod, type of filter. How long has the tank been setup, how much and how often are the water changes. How deep is the substrate....What does it convert to in gallons???

Just remember-some species of algae is normal and expected in a container of water with light and nutrients-It can be a sign of a healthy tank/system, it can help make the tank look/function more natural and soften edges, it provides places for microorganisms that are healthy and needed for the system-among other things, however, since it is a closed system we have to remove some of the healthy algae on occasion and keep it controlled-All part of the regular up-keep of aquariums....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:05 PM   #3 
KeshiaB

Indeed I expected some algae, I'm just not sure on the best way to deal with it. Where's the we should all get when buying our first aquariums?!

Unfortunately I cannot post a picture of the algae right now. However here's a picture of my tank before the algae bloomed:

Name:  user89513_pic88801_1382254260.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  55.2 KB

And the algae looks a little like this (just from a quick google):

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  49.0 KB

Now to answer your questions:

What kind of plants and how many 2 Cryptocoryne, 6-7 Hygrophila stems, 5-6 Bacopa stems and a newly added bunch of Ambulia which I'm using as a floating plant
What kind of lights, age of bulbs, kelvin, watts, photoperiod - 1.6 Watt LED block (28 LEDs) which I currently leave on for 7 hours a day
Type of filter Hagen Elite Hush 20
How long has the tank been setup Since September, so 2 months
How much and how often are the water changes - 25% every 3-4 days, if ammonia or nitrite are reading high then 50%, I test every 2 days with an API Master Kit
How deep is the substrate Approx 3-4cm deep
What does it convert to in gallons 8.4 gallons

My tank is incredibly low tech and I only use the gravel as substrate. I fertilize my plants once a week using Flourish, and treat the water with Seachem Prime. Really I'm just winging it to hope everything works out, so far it has been apart from the algae, which appeared about 2 weeks ago and has since grown.

What do you think I should do from here?

Last edited by KeshiaB; 11-27-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Old 11-28-2013, 03:32 AM   #4 
KeshiaB

Here's a photo of the algae...

Name:  DSC_0005.JPG
Views: 101
Size:  38.5 KB