Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 AM   #11 
ChristinaRoss

wow, all i can say to everyone is, your obviously treating them very well and you actually care about them. that in itself is amazing. for us humans that are "so high on the food chain", to me its one of the highest tests of character in a person that treats and loves animals and fish so well. i love animal and fish people!
they are usually the kindest you can meet.
so bravo to you all

dq, im from ft lauderdale fl originally, believe me, i understand completely what your saying about retirement villages, omg some are worse than "kids" who havent matured yet. no offense to anyones age here, im talking about actual maturity that can come at any age.

good luck with your fish!
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:47 AM   #12 
BettaxFishxCrazy

Unfortunately when I tell people that I have betta fish they laugh or 'ask why? You can't play with it like you can a dog or cat.' My dad doesn't mind my fish collection because he's had fish for years and just switched to salt water fish, so like father like daughter. :P My mom can't stand them, she thinks I'm scratching her new sink up when I clean my tanks, so now I have to do my WC's in the bathroom which ended up working out better. My sister thinks that there's something seriously wrong with me. It's very hard when you have a couple people in your family that hate them and constantly make fun of you or call you stupid for loving your fish. Oh well....
BettaxFishxCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:16 AM   #13 
doggyhog

Sorry about your dad saying all that!!!!! That is annoying!!!!

my family..... half of them don't even know how many fish I even have!! They don't really care. Haha!! I think that is a good thing though! my mom doesn't even care when I get a new fish, because I take care of them well, and pay for every penny!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:21 AM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I don't get too many comments from people but if I talk about my fish, most people will just laugh or roll their eyes. I think everyone has lost track of how many I have.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #15 
Calmwaters

My family likes my fish as much as I do. I set up my 44 gallon in the living room so my mom and dad can enjoy it to. They even helped with the water changes when the tank was cycleing and it was an almost daily thing. They never have kept fish so I had to explain why we had to do it that way and they were like oh ok. I have great parents and feel fortunate to have them. I am so sorry some of you don't have the support I do. I send you all big hugs to make you feel better.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

My Mom isn't a petlover but my Dad loved animals. Over the years we had garden snakes, goldfish, gerbils, birds, a duck, a hamster, a community aquarium that my Dad took care of and dogs and 1 cat.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #17 
TigerLily

I can totally understand where you're coming from. My dad doesn't understand the need for water changes either. He keeps telling me that in college he had a tank he never changed the water for and it did ok. He must have been very lucky or his memory of their life spans has blurred since then.

He's terrific with all the other animals though, and he supports my habit, so I can't be too hard on him. He means well, anyway.
TigerLily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:59 AM   #18 
vaygirl

It rains all the time out in the world. All your doing is simulating a good ole shower. Just smile and nod and do what you want anyway. That's the only way I could live with my Grandmother when I was in my teens. :)
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:59 AM   #19 
JaspersANGEL

I had that experience too with a person at the dog park, he was looking at how perfect "Bear" (my dog) was and asked me if I had any other pets. I said yes a fish and he looked at me weird and told me that a fish didn't really count. OMG I was so mad, and for a person that hang's out at a dog park with his dog, a supposed animal lover tells me that fish don't count as living animals or whatever. They live and breathe like any other pet and deserve the same respect as your big dogs or cats.
But sadly I guess no other people has the same idea on life as me, an animal is an animal whether be it a dog or a snake.

My mom wasn't at all happy about me wanting to buy a fish, but now she checks up on him every so often.

Last edited by JaspersANGEL; 10-23-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: typo
JaspersANGEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #20 
Lupin

Location: Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Information Super Highway
When it rains, it pours, huh? I don't keep bettas anymore but not many people would ask me questions why I do water changes unlike before. Since returning to goldfish, they notice the frequency and water volume I change from my tanks so they realize just how dirty most fish can get.
Lupin is offline   Reply With Quote