Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #21 
CodeRed

My stepdad thinks he can tell me how to take care of my fish because he used to breed mollies. I try to tell him that mollies and bettas are entirely different fish, but he refuses to see that. On occasion he used to ask why I didn't put them together!! After I told him that bettas are fighting fish, and'll kill each other, he said I should get rid of them, and start raising schooling fish ;x
I don't talk about my fish anymore, since most people make fun of me and threaten my fish D: The sad thing is, is I believe they would actually harm my babies. I've heard too many stories and seen too many things to not believe it. I went to Petco today to pick up a tank for Devin, and I watched a 9 or 10 year old girl walk up to a tiny red betta, and shake him. At first she tapped on his glass, and seeing him flipping out, she grabbed the tub and shook it. I was so angry, I couldn't speak. I wanted to buy that boy so, so bad, but I didn't have enough money for the tank and fish.
CodeRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:40 PM   #22 
dramaqueen
Banned

Ugh!! People are so mean!!! I kept my first betta downstairs until my Mom got tired of having him in the dining room. There were a few times we had people with kids over and I would move the fish to another room because I didn't want him subjected to tapping on his bowl.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:43 PM   #23 
BakaMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romad View Post
Next time he gives you bad advice, just point out the fact that your fish are thriving. So you must be doing something right.

And grrrrrrr.......... about keeping them just to fight.
Ahaha... I wish that were true ): two of my fish have fin rot... two of the males at least. Shota has bacterial fin rot and keeps having relapses, and Aros has a mystery fin rot that keeps slowly eating his tail. Now Orenji, which I just got keeps getting mystery holes in his tail, and I'm trying to figure those out >.<;;

The girls are doing good though. I'm doing all that I can for my boys T_T;;

But yeah ):< Hearing all these stories... Really, why do people have to be difficult about our choice of pets? >.< If they think they're 'just fish' and don't care, then they should just leave us alone!

Last edited by BakaMandy; 10-23-2009 at 11:50 PM.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #24 
Kim

Both my parents are animal lovers, but my mom does harp on me about the frequent water changes for my fish (and by frequent I mean once a week :/ ). Sometimes when I have problems all at once it makes it seem like she may be right which is troubling to me. But, in the end I know that I am doing what is right for my fish and I am just hoping for the day when I can get a nice RO unit and a UV sterilizer so I'll never have to worry about my darn well water again. I find it so depressing that I can't even tell anyone about my hobby because they would all just laugh at me. No one around here keeps fish, and most everyone is of the same view that it's "just a fish." I just wish that there was someone to share my enthusiam with :( The human race is a sad thing.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 PM   #25 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, it would be nice to have someone to share our enthusiasm about our fish.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:54 PM   #26 
MrVampire181

I have fish, my dad has fish, my bro has fish and my bros girlfriend has fish XP
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:00 PM   #27 
Calmwaters

Hey you guys we have each other to share our love of fish with so don't worry about all the other clueless people out there. Hugs to all of you for takeing good care of all your fish.
Calmwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:01 PM   #28 
Jupiter

My dad keeps fish, but usually he's the one coming to me for advice. Lol. He doesn't really have time to take care of them much, though.
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:57 PM   #29 
Kim

This is why I'm so glad to have this forum. If it wasn't for this we'd all just be sad, isolated fishkeepers. Plus it gives me hope that there are some good people out there in the world.
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:31 PM   #30 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree with you Kim. It's nice to have people to talk to that don't think you are wierd when you talk about your fish! lol