Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #1 
Madi92

Moss balls

So I recently got a moss ball (like I got it today) and I just have some questions.

1. Should I quarantine the moss ball, and how should I quarantine it, in tap water, dechlorinated water, or what?

2. I herd that you should do 1 week of tap water quarantine, and one week of de chlorinated quarantine, is this okay?

3. How to you care for moss balls? In detail if you could please.

4. Do you guys have any tips for me, please let me know?

5. Will this moss ball be okay with a mystery snail?

Please get back soon!!!!!!
Madi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:28 PM   #2 
RussellTheShihTzu

I just plunk mine in the aquarium. Others may have other ideas.

It's called "moss," but it's actually algae. The only care they need is roll them every once in a while. If you don't, they'll die on the side that stays on the substrate.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:02 AM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

I quarrentined mine for a week in chlorinated water. I then rinsed it in chlorinated water and added it to my tank. It was fine.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:13 AM   #4 
Lefitte

I did the same with Dramaqueen. I've since split mine into two and I'm trying to get some to grow on this small tree decor I have since I heard of people doing that. The loose ball I take out once a week, squeeze it in some old tank water and roll it. I like these guys! They also compete with other algae in the tank so it helps algae growth. They like low lighting, don't need any ferts or CO2, and like cooler water than warmer. I did read something about pleco and similar bottom feeders feedng on the moss balls though. I don't know about snails.

In their natural habitat, they roll into balls with the water current on the bottom of the tank, rising and falling in the water whenever they need light. So you may find that yours will move and sometimes float at different levels.

In Japan, they're considered a national treasure and there is a lot of work being done to return them to the lake they were first found in (Lake Akano? Lake Akan?). They can also be found in parts of Europe but that particular lake is said to make the best and most perfect moss balls. This is specifically the Marimo moss balls, I don't know of another kind so I'm assuming the same. Some people have tanks just for them and name them like pets all on their own. I also found a site that makes desktop items and even jewelry with tiny marimo moss balls in them. Pretty cool!
Lefitte is offline   Reply With Quote