Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2013, 05:29 PM   #1 
justkaylamarie

Bored Betta? Help!

My betta (no name yet although I've had him for over a year! ) seems to be bored. I know there are multiple causes of tail biting but isn't boredom one of them? This is his 10 gallon home. I have a small sponge type filter and a jar and pot and a bunch of plants for him to explore. I noticed his tail biting and recently added the lighthouse, which blows bubbles every 3 seconds or so. He seems very intrigued, I catch him circling and studying it very carefully. But how else can I help his boredom. I have him flare his fins a few times a week also. Should I get a castle or other type of hideout? Should I think about tankmates? Help me out, I don't want his pretty fins all tore up!
Attached Images

justkaylamarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:11 PM   #2 
Valuta8

I don't know much about tail biting, since I've never had one, but to add to the tank to ease boredom I would put something with surfing holes in there.
Your tank is actually very pretty, I don't see how he could be too bored in it! But bettas LOVE surfing holes, so try to get something like this:
http://www.petco.com/product/118880/...Supplies_Decor
It seems to have a lot of holes for him to go through, but it looks pretty rough (he might tear his fins on it) so I wouldn't get it.
Hope this helped :) Hopefully someone with more experience with the problem can help you too.
Valuta8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #3 
RussellTheShihTzu
Reference Team

I have to tell you, I'm not a fan of fake plants....however, your beautiful tank could easily change my mind!

You might try some floating plants. One of mine loves to recline in his Brazilian Pennywort. Some people entertain with a ping pong ball. When I feed my guys, I sometimes have them chase my finger to the top and then drop a pellet or two.

Willie has learned to jump for his dinner. If he's ready to eat (I guess that's why he does it) he'll jump at nothing. Maybe he has *me* trained.

For tank mates, you could investigate getting some male Endlers or a shoal of six or more Pygmy Cories. With all the cover you have, they should enjoy your tank.

Unfortunately, sometimes, I think, Bettas just tail bite.
RussellTheShihTzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 05:37 AM   #4 
Hallyx
Reference Team

After all that good advice, it really does come down to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellTheShihTzu View Post
Unfortunately, sometimes, I think, Bettas just tail bite.
If it's any consolation, they frequently outgrow it.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 11:33 AM   #5 
TheFishyFoxy

Just to be sure, do you have a heater? All those awesome plants make it hard to find if you do.

My boy seems to bite his tail even when nothing is wrong, but I find when I sit with him, even when I'm just reading a book and then talking with him every few chapters, he doesn't bite as much.
Good luck!
TheFishyFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #6 
justkaylamarie

Yeah I have a heater, it's in the back right corner! But thanks for the great advice! I was looking into a betta log but the reviews said it's a bit rough and the paint chips after a while. Maybe I can try and make one, hmm..?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #7 
justkaylamarie

As for the tank mates.. do I have enough room with just a 10 gallon tank? I don't want there to be too many fish? Do I have to get 6 cories or can I start with just a few? and do they have to be pygmy cories?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:58 AM   #8 
zombieaddict

You can definitely make your betta something similar to a floating log. I took these weird fake pink plants from an ugly tank decoration and turned them into little hoops. I have a couple floating in several of my tanks. Cheshire likes when his is arranged at the top of his hide so he can go into one of the bottom hide holes and poke his head out through the top while his pink plant hoop offers him cover.

He also loves the toy dinosaur that I put in front of his tank. It's blue, black, and red, kind of similar to his colors. He comes over to the spot where the dino is and flares at him. Then if I move the dino to another area of the tank, he's a riot swimming back and forth from the new location to the old one like "Waaaaait a minute.... Something's not right here...."

You can see the pink hoop on the left upper corner. It shifted during a water change and I'm slacking on putting it back where Cheshire likes it.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 04:29 PM   #9 
justkaylamarie

That's a good idea! I have a few extra pants so maybe i'll try and make one.

Btw... you guys are so helpful! I'm not new to betta keeping, but I'm a new member and everyone is so friendly and willing to offer advice! :)
Old 12-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #10 
zombieaddict

That's why I joined! Experienced owners offer much better advice than trying to search through articles on your own. I'm also on aquaticcommunity for my other fishies and caudata for my axolotls. It's great to talk with others who are enthusiastic about the same animals.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote