Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-29-2013, 06:48 PM   #1 
JennaLee

3 female bettas in a 5 gallon tank?

I recently aquired a beautiful light pink female betta, I named her Luna. She is in a 0.5 gallon tank right now but I'm hoping to upgrade soon to a 5 gallon. My question is, can 3 female bettas live together in a 5 gallon tank? I'm prepared to provide 3 separate hiding places as well as a few plants to try to minimize aggression.

This is the tank I'm thinking of getting: http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/tetra-5-.../6000127078870

I also have a 10 gallon tank, but my male betta calls it his home. I know it seems silly, but I'd feel bad downgrading him to a smaller tank :$

I'd be glad to hear your opinions, especially from those of you who have experience with keeping several female bettas together.

Thanks! :)
JennaLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #2 
LizzyP

I wouldn't.

1. 5 gallons isn't enough room for 3 fish waste wise. It'd be too much waste.
http://www.aqadvisor.com/
Good site on tank stocking.

2. More females the more the aggression is spread out. One of them is going to get picked on and possibly killed.

If you want a sorority, you need a bigger tank with more females. Good luck.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:54 PM   #3 
LizzyP

I wouldn't.

1. 5 gallons isn't enough room for 3 fish waste wise. It'd be too much waste.
http://www.aqadvisor.com/
Good site on tank stocking.

2. More females the more the aggression is spread out. One of them is going to get picked on and possibly killed.

If you want a sorority, you need a bigger tank with more females. Good luck.
LizzyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #4 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly, three females in a 5 gallon tank is more than likely going to end in disaster. Generally, you want a group of at least 5 or more females to spread aggression out. Furthermore, five gallons is too small to house a sorority.

There is a thread I wrote about sororities at the top of this forum. I suggest you read through it and some of the other threads on this forum as a sorority is something that takes quite a bit of work and preparation to avoid problems further down the road.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #5 
clementchee

They may fight in the beginning though.

I went to an aqua store the other day and I saw one tank having some 20 female bettas. Some of them were still chasing one another but they were not fighting, though.
clementchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:32 AM   #6 
JennaLee

Thanks for the help guys! I've decided to move Tilly (my male betta) to the 5 gallon and use the 10 gallon for a sorority. How many females should I get? I was think 4-6 but I really don't know how many would be ideal in that size of a tank.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #7 
Crowntails

I would get 5-6 females.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #8 
tiinykat

I have six females in a sixteen gallon, and I still have occasional flare-ups between the alpha and a two other females (one a very young fish, the other is the same size as the alpha) and BOTH get occasional fin nips.

What I'm saying is that my tank is three times as big as a five gallon and sometimes two of my females will have little nips taken out of their tales.

Would not risk it /:

Edit: Just read you're going to use the 10 gal. I would get six. Good luck! [:
tiinykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #9 
JennaLee

Thanks again for the help guys!
So I have 5 females in the 10 gallon, but they are being SUPER aggressive towards eachother! I think I may not have enough hiding places (I have a castle with two caves, a "balinese lantern" with two caves, a large fake plant, a small fake plant, a telephone booth and a large shell) so I'm going to go out and get another large plant tomorrow!
They seem to have stopped trying to tear eachother apart for now, but some of them have sustained injuries to their fins. (I put some melafix in to prevent infection and speed up healing)
Any suggestions on how I can minimize violence?
Old 11-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #10 
sandybottom
Reference Team

lots of plants.you need to break up their line of sight.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
female betta, sorority, tank