Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-24-2009, 03:48 PM   #1 
Hirelena

Bloodworms: yes or no?

Im new to the world of betta's, and saw that it would be nice for the fish to have a varied diet. So I was wondering how people felt about freeze dried bloodworms. Do they cause bloat, or if there is a special way to prepare them? Is it okay to give it to them once in a while, or daily? Do I soak them? Etc?

Betta's have so much personality and I dont wanna just give them stuff all willy nilly and hurt them.

Thankies!
Hirelena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:32 PM   #2 
DragonFish

Welcome to the addiction!

I stay away from freezedried myself, just to be safe, and stick with frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, and Daphnia. I've read that the process it goes through to freezedry things actually remove the nutrients, and that it can cause bloat and the like....but, with that said, I've also heard a couple things about soaking them fist, only giving a couple, ext. But, IMHO, its not worth the risk....I'm also super paranoid though

Also, they should only be fed 'treats' such as bloodworms and brine shrimp once-twice a week with a good pellet as a staple diet. I choose a day for each(bloodworms and brine shrimp)and replace the evening feeding with a few. Hope this helps!
DragonFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #3 
Hirelena

Wow you got a lot of fish o.o hehe!

Yea its an addiction, every time I go to wal mart or pets mart for their food or items, I go, "Wow shes gorgous I wanna take her home with me!". Luckily I go with friends who say, "nooo! Where are you gonna keep it!" LOL.

Anyway~ I do appricate the advice. I stared at this BettaMin, Tropical Medley by Tetra, which includes, FreezedDried shrimp brine, vs this little bottle of Tetra's, freezedried blood worms. I went with the Tropical Medley thinking it would be 'safer' and decided to go on the forums to ask about the bloodworms for next time.

So freezedried stuff takes out nutriants? Well that isnt cool! Maybe I should invest in some frozen stuff, which I guess you get at PetSmart...

Thanks for the reply <3
Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 PM   #4 
DragonFish

Haha, I also have a pond full of breeding goldfish

Yup, bettas are definitely an addition, this last guy I bought(on my avvy)has to be my last one, I need to save room for fry^-^ But I get the 'you don't need another fish' speech from my mom anyway, luckily, or unluckily maybe, I don't listen xD

Your welcome, glad I could be of help I do believe I have a thing of Tropical Medley too...but that was long before I got bettas, so I've never fed it to them, and at my LPS frozen is actually cheaper
Yup, I keep reading that somehow it takes out the nutrients...which is why I decided to not even try it and find other ways to vary their diet. I've heard of people using some special kinds of flakes, and even different brands of pellets and mixing it up.

I've found frozen wherever fish are sold, my LPS, Petsmart, Petco, online....all over the place. I hear Hikari brand is best as well ^-^
Old 10-24-2009, 05:22 PM   #5 
Hirelena

^^ Ill look em up next time I head over there. Which might be soon, I am under the
suspicion that the heater isnt working so I just got a thermometer to test it. (BTW a little off topic, whats a good temp for the water to be at? )

Stupid question, keep the worms in the freezer right? (Which my mother will 'love' to see). And do I thaw those out too?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:36 PM   #6 
DragonFish

Ahh, yes, thermometers are good...I always forget those D: xD luckily, I have enough tanks with stable temps that I can 'borrow' for a short time.
Its recommended to keep the temp between 78-82 degrees, I keep mine all at around 79-80 and find they're most active then

Yup, just keep 'em in the freezer xD My mom is okay with it because they're sealed up, though once she freaked because I put a dish of excess worms in there....though, I just put the dish in a zip-lock baggy and the argument was solved

I thaw them in a small dish with tank water, usually its warm enough to thaw them out in 5 minutes or so(give or take....I usually leave them for a bit because I'm distracted my shiny objects xD)They come in 'cubes' so if you have excess drain the water and you can use the zip-lock method and save for future use If your mom gets mad, say your saving money by not wasting....or ask for your own mini freezer in your room
Old 10-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #7 
Hirelena

Brilliance DragonFish <3

Ill go out sometime when I get some extra money and buy some for the little guys. Because come on, if you eat the same thing every day, youd get bored too Lol.

^^ Thanks for all the info! Everyone here is always willing to help yay! OH, that Medley I got, do you remember if its a daily thing?
Old 10-24-2009, 05:53 PM   #8 
DragonFish

Happy to lend my brillianceness Jk, but I'm happy I could help ^-^

I know I would get bored xD Though, I once had a honey Gourami that refused to eat anything but flakes. She was quite the odd character...

Hmm.... like if your supposed to feed it every day? I fed it to my Community tank every other day, though with bettas, frezedried or frozen, I think the absolute max times you should be feeding it is three times per week....I don't know exactly why I'm afraid, all I know is that its bad for them in some way....
Old 10-24-2009, 05:55 PM   #9 
Hirelena

Lol I mean feeding them the Melody food, can I feed them that daily, or is it a treat like thing like the blood worms ^^.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:01 PM   #10 
DragonFish

Ahh, yeah, its a treat thing like bloodworms ^-^

Tags
bloodworns, food, opinion