Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #1 
TheFishyFoxy

New Life Spectrum

I'm currently feeding Hikari Bio-Gold for my Betta, Picasso. I'm looking to buy New Life Spectrum for him today, since I like to have two foods at once. I also fed the Aqueon Betta food, but it's expired now. I've had that food for 5 years, and with only one fish, it is only half way done. I know neither are that great, so I'm going to NLS.

I'm wondering which type of NLS you feed. I know the Betta formula has less protein than the Small Fish one, and the Small Fish has smaller pellets. I know they have the Thera-A too, with garlic. I also saw some people feed the Grow formula? Which one do you feed/recommend? How long does it take to finish? Guess it's not too big of a deal tho, it's not too expensive and last a long time.

Thanks!
TheFishyFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:25 PM   #2 
Kithy

I use the betta formula though for a little while I was using the small goldfish formula since I was having trouble finding the betta one.

At only 3 or 4 pellets per fish it seems like it lasts forever. I have 9 bettas and the container was only just past the top part of the label before my son dumped it on the floor.
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

I use the betta formula, it's worked very well for me and even my small fry have no problems eating it.

The small fish and grow formula will also work.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #4 
TheFishyFoxy

Alright, I'm leaning torwards the Betta formula then. I just find the smaller pellets more convenient because you can cater it more specifically to your fish's needs. Decisions, decisions.
Old 11-30-2013, 02:55 PM   #5 
cowboy

I use the betta formula but not all my fish like it (believe it or not)
cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:12 PM   #6 
sandybottom
Reference Team

i use the small fish formula right now as i recently had some baby betta. i am going to switch to the thera +a as it contains extra garlic.this is supposed to help with internal parasites and picky eaters will enjoy the extra garlic. the grow formula has more protein at 50% and includes squid,new zealand mussles along with a micro algae. small fish and grow both have the extra small .5mm size.i think the thera +a is larger.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:15 PM   #7 
DerangedUnicorn

I just changed to NLS yesterday. Three of my fish are having no trouble with the switch at all. The other two seem to have trouble with the size & just grabbing a hold of it in general. I wonder if it's slipperier than Omega One. I got the betta formula. It's a huge container. It's gonna last forever!!!! Plus, I have two containers of Omega One that will last until the end of time. Anyways, I'm feeding the two that have trouble one NLS pellet & one Omega pellet until they get used to it. Maybe I should crush them up first. But my baby betta has no trouble eating them though. She's a piggy no matter how big the pellet is.
DerangedUnicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #8 
jaysee
Reference Team

All of my fish are fed NLS Thera A exclusively. The bettas and other small community fish get the 1 mm size. The larger fish get 2 mm and some fish get the 3 mm. The 0.5 mm pellets are for when I get reeeeally small fish, like baby neons and stuff.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 04:13 PM   #9 
TheFishyFoxy

Ugh decisions. xD

Thera-A seems really good, but doesn't it have less protein? I don't think I'll get the grow version, because it has a lot of fat content too. I think I'll go with the Betta kind. Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 04:33 PM   #10 
Stone

I love NLS other than the fact if you have only one betta it will expire before you could ever use it all, they need a smaller container omega one betta buffest if just as good and a much smaller container
Stone is offline   Reply With Quote