Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-25-2014, 02:22 PM   #21 
G26okie

I've been feeding my rasboras and betta Hikari micro pellets, but its a pain to feed them. They are separated into yellow/red/green. Yellow being vitamins, green being plant, and red being protein. I hardly ever see the red ones floating down so the rasboras can get them.

Ordered some NLS small fish formula Thera A, so hopefully that will be easier to "portion" out.
G26okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 02:59 PM   #22 
Otterfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by G26okie View Post
I've been feeding my rasboras and betta Hikari micro pellets, but its a pain to feed them. They are separated into yellow/red/green. Yellow being vitamins, green being plant, and red being protein. I hardly ever see the red ones floating down so the rasboras can get them.

Ordered some NLS small fish formula Thera A, so hopefully that will be easier to "portion" out.
I remove the bulb of the turkey baster and put the food through it and allow it to sink to the bottom in a controlled manner (modified feeding tunnel) . the fish gets excited seeing the tube and the food come down. i usually land the food on my marimo moss log so i can see and clean up as needed.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:56 PM   #23 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody27 View Post
So, what I'm gathering from your reply here is that NLS Betta Formula pellets ARE the best of all three.........being, Hikari, Omega One and NLS. Right?

Yeah I think so. Omega one might be right up there with it though... Even though they don't list their fish as meals. It's better than hikari by far . Aqueon is actually pretty decent - way better than hikari.

However I hear that NLS has changed their label, not for the better.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #24 
Ian Tepoot

NLS Betta Ingredients Detailed and Explained...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysee View Post
However I hear that NLS has changed their label, not for the better.
In reply to jaysee:

Greetings. I am Ian Tepoot from New Life, and felt compelled to address this conception. Although difficult to respond to "I hear..." rumors, some information might be helpful.

This is the label of ingredients for our latest iteration of the Betta Formula:

Whole Antarctic Krill, Whole Fish, Whole Wheat Flour, Ulva Seaweed, Chlorella Algae, Beta Carotene, Kelp, Garlic, Omega-3 Fish Oil, Alfalfa, Scallops, Spirulina, Wakame Seaweed, Spinosum Seaweed, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Vitamin C), Choline Chloride, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate.

We have changed the formula, in fact. We believe for the better and that our new ingredients represent a non-trivial upgrade (which is our goal year over year). Some information to help you navigate, and what the changes have been recently:

(1) As a note, we do not, nor have we ever, mixed wet and dry weights in our ingredient listings. Everything is dry weight, and we don't play tricks with that. Thus the listing orders are consistent between ingredients and between older and newer labels.

(2) Ingredients such as "Ulva Seaweed" and "Chlorella Algae" have been added in addition to the kelp and spirulina. This provides more balanced "veggies" in the formula and is made possible by new processes we developed to reduce wheat as a binder for the pellet.

(3) I want to emphasize that we still using whole herring (not waste product) as an ingredient. However, we are now using the term "Whole Fish". Why? Herring harvest has seasonal variation, and fisheries in Canada must now manage their resources. This leaves the possibility of it not being available.

For example, although we had supplies to see us through, a previous year there was virtually no harvest. In this case, should we need to, listing the ingredient as such gives us the ability to switch to other whole high quality oily, high quality fish such as mackerel or sardines rather than simply stop production. I want to emphasize that this has not been necessary as every jar of NLS sold in the U.S. has whole herring.

(4) Fruit and Vegetable extracts are now replaced with Wakame and Spinosum seaweeds, which again have advantage for fish over terrestrial ingredients and was made possible by our new processes.

(5) The beta carotene comes from all natural sources, such as the krill and marigold.

You may also notice that the current ingredients don't have Soybean products (which may be a difference, depending on how old your jar is), which we eliminated a while ago.

Small changes in the phrasing of some of the vitamins don't represent a change in the materials, but rather current standards on the preferred scientific/technical names of some vitamins and supplements.

I hope this addresses any concerns that we have changed our ingredients for the worse. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Last edited by Ian Tepoot; 03-28-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: clarity
Ian Tepoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #25 
jaysee
Reference Team

New Life Spectrum

Thank you so much for your response. I'm a huge advocate of the product, but have been confronted with questions and assertions about the revised list. Buying 5 lb buckets, I haven't yet seen the new list yet. You have answered all the questions I had, so thank you. I will continue to push your product on everyone.

Last edited by jaysee; 03-28-2014 at 03:11 PM.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #26 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Thank you very much for the response, Ian. That's great information and excellent to hear from someone involved with the company. I love NLS and will continue to suggest its use to our members.

I have one (small) question, though- Why are Wakame and Spinosum seaweeds advantageous to terrestrial based fruits and vegetables?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 04:51 PM   #27 
Romad
TFK Moderator

Thank you Ian! That is very informative. I switched over to NLS a while back and am thrilled with the product. And so are the fish :)
Romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #28 
Sathori

I feed the betta formula to all my bettas. I will likely be buying the small fish formula for my community tank since the betta in there likes the micro pellets that the neon tetras eat, and the neons are always trying to eat the NLS that my betta misses (or at times they still the NLS pellets lol)
My bettas are MUCH happier eating the NLS and I've noticed how much more they enjoy it over Hikari (which is what I was feeding before)
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:15 PM   #29 
jadaBlu

I've read you should not feed garlic to them every day. It's true that there are two different sizes of the pellets. I've twice bought it and got the larger size on Amazon even though the small size in weight and picture was shown. That was not a problem a year ago. I can tell you Thera A is the small size which has the garlic since you won't be feeding it every day you could opt for it. I would suggest contacting the seller before you buy to be sure you get the tiny pellets which are perfect.
This for example is the larger size pellet which you want to avoid unless you have really large betta
http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-form...lets-50-g.html

I think the smaller pellets are like a 50 gram size. Here's a picture so you can see the difference
The all purpose size is what I used to be able to buy but I am having trouble getting. Even though they promote betta food I've compared ingredients and sometimes some of the all purpose foods have the same ingredients.

http://badmanstropicalfish.com/produ..._Spectrum.html
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #30 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Why shouldn't garlic be fed daily Jada? That's news to me. I know plenty of people that feed Thera A daily as a stable with perfectly healthy fish.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote