Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2009, 12:45 AM   #1 
ninjafish

Sick betta..Might have fungus?

Hello! I am new here..I've registered to see if anyone can provide some insight on what may be wrong with my betta, Tide.

A few days ago, Tide became lethargic and didn't swim around as much. He used to come up to the top every time he saw you come in the room, because he was such a pig and always expected you to feed him. Now he barely gets off the bottom when I put food in, but he seems to be swimming alright when he does swim. He now has whitish patches on one side of his body, and I looked around online and I believe that it is some kind of fungus.

I've done a thorough cleaning of his tank tonight and put all the necessary water treatments in, so I'm hoping he will begin to heal. Is there anything else I should buy at the pet store to help him heal, or anything else I should do for him?

Also, here is a picture of what he looks like..Sorry that it's not the clearest thing in the world. My camera is from 2002!

ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:33 AM   #2 
LiSanJess

welcome to the forum. From what i can see it looks like he has patch's on him maybe it could be velvet i just ran into that problem plus cloudy eye again. How often is his water changed and what sort of tank is he in. I was treating Einstein for almost a month for his fungus and FINALLY after betta fix and every other fin rot and fungus fighter i bought API fungus cure the box has little pictures of all the issues i have fought in the past. Its 10 packs of powder and its meant for a 10 gallon tank so i cut it in half for his 5 gallon. It turns your water a BRIGHT green and says you should wait 48hrs retreat wait 48 and do a 25% water change he is doing so much better now and his colour is back and the velvet is completely gone. There are so many people with great advice and i am sure if you can give abit more info about your set up more people could reply but as far as treatment look for the API fungus cure reasonable price and works amazingly fast.
LiSanJess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:00 AM   #3 
ninjafish

Thanks so much for responding! Tide lives in a 2 gallon hexagonal tank and I try to do a full water change every week. I also made sure to scrub all his toys/plants to make sure there's no fungus or algae on them.

Thank you for the advice on the powder treatment. Do you know where I can purchase this?
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You should be able to get it at Petco, Petsmart or just about any petstore.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #5 
ninjafish

Thanks everyone, I am headed to Petco as soon as my ride gets here. She is going to get a betta too! Muahaha, I have converted someone..
Old 10-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #6 
ninjafish

Okay..Update! Today, Tide looks much better since his water change. His color has returned and he seems to be more active. He even ate a pellet or two! I'm really hoping he pulls through.

Petco didn't have the API Fungus removal, so I bought the next best thing I could find. I also ended up getting another betta, go figure! LOL