Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #31 
ChristinaRoss

dont overdose with the conditioner, ive read it can make it harder for them to use their gills
ChristinaRoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:53 PM   #32 
Synthisis

Between dr2b and my water, they are completely different. Her's is almost the same as bottled water.

Mine on the other hand, smells like a public pool (talking about pool water smell here.)

How did your fish all seem to act? Did they all die the same way, time frame? Are you getting them from the same store?

Fish can be wierd.... Just this month I lost 5 fish from my 29gal community tank.
Synthisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:54 PM   #33 
fishyinpa

To who asked bout the Nitrates...in my other 10 gallon (that is cycled for quite awhile) I never had a hint of nitrate. In my 12 gallon there is none either.

Synthisis, I have gotten them from various places. Doesnt seem to matter what store,they all die. A few of them, I knew what was wrong and nothing I could do. Most were mysterious though. One day they are fine,then the next they are darting all around the tank,or trying to shove themselves into the gravel,or staying at the top. Next day they are dead. I change their water like normal,then when I notice them acting funny, I change it again,most times when I do do that,they die. But on the other hand,if I dont they seem to die as well. So doesnt matter what I do,they die either way.

My longest living was Fishy at 9 months (who knows how old when I got him). Most of my others maybe make it 2 months. Roja(rip as well) one of my females was my other longest living after Fishy and that was like 6 months maybe. My eldest at this point I think is maybe 5-6 months.

What strikes me as odd though,my other fish seem just fine in my tap water. I have panda corys,had them about 8 months and only lost 2 adults. They also spawned and I have 3 babies who look like they are doing great. I also have a tank with pencilfish and pygmy cories,for maybe um 2 months lost 1 so far.

So I wonder what in the water is killing bettas but is okay for others. Very odd.
fishyinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:05 PM   #34 
dramaqueen
Banned

If only you could have gotten a necropsy on one of your fish to see what killed them.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:49 PM   #35 
fishyinpa

oh didnt think of that. but who would do that? I certainly cant do that myself lol. I do have umm...hate to say this,but a bunch of dead fish still in my freezer. Its adding up so I gotta start burying them. Gonna have to do mass plots if I can. We just had so much freaking rain this year,(prolly the problem with my water!!) that I couldnt get them buried. I kinda feel bad leaving them in there,heh.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:55 PM   #36 
dramaqueen
Banned

I wonder if you can find out from a vet's office. I have no idea what it would cost but it might be worth it to find out what the heck is going on.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #37 
fishyinpa

Hmmm...there is fish doctor linked on my vets website. I could probably email him and see what he says.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 PM   #38 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thats a good idea. I hope everything works out so you can get some answers.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #39 
dr2b

That is a good idea bout the fish autopsy or w/e. I hope you find some answers. And Synthisis is so right about our water differences. It is such a large change that I can buy plants in his stores and bring them to my water and they go into shock. Major differences going on there... Good luck Fishyinpa!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 PM   #40 
Kim

It's late, but I just have to tell you that it is definitely not your fault! Don't even think of blaming yourself for this, and please listen to me because I have beat myself up over almost the same issue. Seriously, I have water issues as well and I have mentally tormented myself to the point where I almost gave up the entire hobby because of all the problems that I encountered. For example, yesterday I had to boil an entire 5 gallons of water using a little kettle because for the past month there has been some sort of bacteria in my water that kills my male's fins. Ever time I'd do a water change they'd get rips and holes in their beautiful fins for no reason. I finally pinpointed it to my water and now I need to convince my parents to shock our well. It doesn't affect other fish or my females. I'm guessing the same thing is happening with your water with a worse effect. This does NOT make you a bad owner, in fact it just proves to me that you are a good person because of your reaction. An uncaring person would say "meh, it's just a fish" and move on, but a good person always takes things out on themselves because they actually care and are responsible. I KNOW FOR SURE that you take great care of your fish, and I'm not the most trusting person in the world, so what you need to do is remember that you are a great owner despite having problems that are out of your control. This post really hit home for me and I hope that what I have said will help you to NEVER blame yourself for this. This kind of thing can and does happen to many people, we just don't hear about it because it happens behind the scenes of the forums.

On a proactive note, I have considered spending the money to buy a UV sterilizer and a RO unit and hooking it all up to a holding tank so that I can start fresh with my water. This may be an option for you as well. I find my water has "good" periods when everything is just dandy, and "bad" periods as I described above and this is why I haven't spent the money on this setup yet, but I think that it is definitely time for me. If you don't want to be buying bottled water each week a similar setup should remove everything from your water, then you can just add a blend of essential minerals and be all set.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope that my suggestions may be of some help. Feel free to PM me any time to chat or just vent . Maybe we can work something out together. ~Kim
Kim is offline   Reply With Quote