Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-18-2013, 05:24 PM   #1 
Indigoclyde77

IndigoClyde ER-White Spots see pictures

Hello! My name is Kerri, I am a newbie and have a bit of a Betta ER situation, he is almost 1.5 years old. Have maintained him well over the years as you can see. I love this little guy! And he is happy and still eating! So thats good... well over the last 2 weeks or so he has developed this spot on his head and looks like its now spreading down his back. I am super worried. I change his water every week to 2 weeks. Always use filtered water. I just don't know what to do? Does this look like anything any of you would know? Any advice would be helpful. I just changed his water today so hoping tomorrow he looks better. He is my little work buddy! Attached is another pic what he normally looks like, vibrant blues, greens and reds normally! I am just very sad and worried...
Attached Images

Last edited by Indigoclyde77; 09-18-2013 at 05:27 PM.
Indigoclyde77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #2 
Indigoclyde77

oops same image twice...sorry
Old 09-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #3 
Indigoclyde77

Here he is today... I moved him in the sun for just a bit so his water warms up a little... he is kept at room temp 71 has been since I have got him. So I am debating on getting him a filter, lcd ligt set up? Maybe it will help him? He ate this am and seems his normal self. Could he be marbling? He was a gift and she did not know what "kind" he was... I am guessing he is a Crown tail Betta. I attached a picture of him today.
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 07:46 PM   #4 
Indigoclyde77

Ok... So went to Petco, the guy there was not very helpful. I am kinda bummed I have had no replies or help her thus far from this community no offense please :( I did not even know how to do all this testing first for the water levels etc... anyway after buying a test kit, which all levels were good in the orig tank, fyi- but after changing water again, adding heater and thermometer along with beta fix I am hopeful I will see some changes. Moved him into a bigger tank as well. So here is a pic of the new home and all the updates. His water levels at this moment are perfect. So I have done the best I can do at this point and feel better. I hope to seek insight in this community in the future. And to hopefully learn more about my sweet baby boy I have here and how to make him live a long and healthier life. I have done pretty good so far winging it don't you think! lol.. anyway have a super night!
Attached Images

Old 09-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #5 
fidget

I don't know about the spots on his head, I'm sorry! Is that the heater on the left?
fidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:11 PM   #6 
peachii

It looks to me like he is marbling and will eventually be a different color when he is done. If he seems healthy, eating fine and not sick, then it probably is marbling.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:19 PM   #7 
Mo

Hi there, it would help us a lot if you could fill this out, thanks!

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 12:11 PM   #8 
Indigoclyde77

Hello guys!! Thanks for replying :) I filled this out as best as possible.

Quote:
Housing Fresh water tank
What size is your tank? 2 Gal I think..
What temperature is your tank? 74 and rising…as we speak (only cause I did not know I needed to place the heater all the way in the water lol…) oops!
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?tetra betta floating mini pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day-3-5 pellets no more as he seems to waste the pellets and he has plant roots to feed on too.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every other week or so.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? All of it. I use room temp filtered water. (prior to heater) usually water temp is prob 70-71 the last 1.5 years I have had him.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I sometimes add the betta safe water conditioner just for mait.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? I never tested water in the past.. just judged it if it started looking not as clear, how much stuff accumulated in the rocks below etc.. like I said every other week I changed water.

Ammonia: (test strip did not have that? If so I missed it?)
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:20
pH:7
Hardness: 90
Alkalinity: 85

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Yes, his head has dev white scale changes face and back of spine.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not much he is still eating and active
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Got betta fix yesterday, temp for tank and heater. Tested his water and is good to go.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1.5 maybe a little older. Not sure how old he was when I got him. He was a gift.

But like I said the guy at Petco has never seen this yet? Strange.. So on a guess he had me get the betta fix... I will drop in the med again today. Says to repeate for 7 days. So we shall see. I will be taking him home with me over the weekend too.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:22 PM   #9 
Indigoclyde77

So here is the smaller tank and the larger tank. I usually alternate tanks when I clean. I am guessing the smaller is a gallon and the larger is two gallon? I just gave him his food and he ate 1 of the 5 pellets. I dont know.. he usually does not gobble them down ever... he waits I think till they are not so hard. I will pay close attention today I think he ate 1 so far? And I did not know I was sup to submerge the heater in the water.. bad reading instructions on my part lol... all good now and its warming it is now up to 76. Like I said just waiting, time will tell I am sure.

What is the reason for marbling? Is that an aging process? Normal change for this type of Betta?
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #10 
Indigoclyde77

Maybe this is what it is!! OMG!

http://bettysplendens.com/articles/p...articleid=1114