Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #1 
RainbowBettaGuy

Does my betta have Dropsy??

I bought this betta and have had her for about a week and a half. She was in her cup for 3 days which I changed her water ever day. I finally put her and some other females in a sorority tank. They've been in there for about a week. Her name is Belle and she's looked like this (bloated) since day one. I personally thought she was just a "plus size" betta. I never knew anything about dropsy before, and when I found out I was scared that she might have it. She looks bloated but no "pine cone" scales on her, or at least that I can see. I think they yellow/ lighter colors make it hard to see that. She still has a heavy appetite, and is still very active and swims fine. I've feed her a cooked pea 2 days ago and she still is bloated I'm gonna try and post some pics here and see what you guys think? I never new how hard it was to try and take a pic of a fish with making it blurry.

I currently have some fungal and bacteria meds in the sorority tank. Should I pull her from the tank? Is there something else I can do for her?
Attached Images

RainbowBettaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #2 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Dropsy is not a disease in and of itself but rather a symptom for other things like organ failure. And no, she doesn't have dropsy she's just very eggy since she's probably been around many boy's before going to your home.

Pea's do not help much in digestion, yes they have some fiber but it's not as good as using Daphnia either freeze-dried, frozen or live. Also Epsom Salt will help with bloat since that is also a laxative. However if she's just eggy which it does look like, then she doesn't need it. She'll most likely be like that for a while, try to fast her and she should reabsorb her eggs. During feeding time just cup her so she doesn't get at the food Fast her for around 3-4 day's and that should help a little.
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #3 
RainbowBettaGuy

Thank you so much! I feel better about her condition.
RainbowBettaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:03 AM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

^_^
lilnaugrim is online now   Reply With Quote