Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #1 
sparketta

Clearish poo and something small and white swimming in the water

Ok, so my girl Swishie has not eaten in days. I thought she was only adjusting to her new digs until I saw her poo. It came out brown but covered in other clear poo. I thought that since she hadn't eaten in days, this might just be a result of an empty stomach.

She has been behaving normally - after coming out of her hidey hole she has been swimming around happily and hiding in floating plants. I keep the temperature at 78* and use StressCoat as a conditioner and Flourish Excel every three days. I change the water 25-30% every four days. She is in a 10 gallon filtered tank that has yet to cycle.

Today I disturbed her favorite hiding place and a disgusting clearish-white something - worm? It was so gross - swam like a snake and hid in the heater. What is going on? Are they parasites?

Last edited by sparketta; 12-01-2013 at 09:49 AM.
sparketta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Eww, that sounds gross. It could be a parasite but someone with experience can give better advice.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 AM   #3 
sparketta

I did a little reading and it looks like Epsom salts are the way to go... but will they kill my plants?
Old 12-01-2013, 01:43 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Could be a Nematode but I don't know much about them really, could be Planaria as well but they're generally small and have issues swimming well in the actual water column.

Epsom salt will flush them out generally but not kill them so water changes will help too. And no ES won't kill your plants in fact! ES is often used in gardening for fertilizer so you'll be fine to treat in tank.
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #5 
sparketta

Great! Do you know the measurements? I don't want to over dose her...
Old 12-01-2013, 03:36 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Start off with 1 tsp per gallon for two day's and then up to 2 tsp. You can use 3 tsp np, but if her poop turns normal after a few day's then there's no need. Once her poop is normal again then the parasites are out, do daily water changes and replace the salt that you've taken out.

So if you remove 2.5 gallons of water from the tank and you're using 1 tsp per gallon, mix up 2.5 teaspoons when you go to add the new water to the tank. That way you're keeping her at 1 tsp per gallon. Make sure you dissolve the salt before putting it in the tank! I use small plastic cups and use some tank water, measure out 1 or 2 teaspoons at a time (smaller portions melt faster is all) and mix it up and slowly add to the tank over half an hour so she can get used to it. Salt makes heat while it dissolves so it can hurt your fish if you don't dissolve it first is all.

So do a schedule like this:
Day 1: add 1 tsp per gallon of ES.
Day 2: Do 50% water change and replace salt that you took out.
Day 3: Do 50% water change and replace salt but also add more to make a total of 2 tsp per gallon of ES.
Day 3: Do 50% water change and replace salt that you took out.
Day 4: Do 50% water change and replace salt but also add more to make a total of 3 tsp per gallon of ES if needed.

And so on, but after 3 tsp just keep doing water changes to get rid of parasites and do not increase salt, just replace. You can do this up to 10 day's and then let her rest if she's still showing white poop but she should be fine by then.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #7 
sparketta

I've had her in epsom salt.. will this kill the parasites or only help her get the dead ones out?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:59 AM   #8 
kittenfish

Any chance she recently released eggs and ate them? This can also cause weird clearish poop.

How big was the worm thing?
kittenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #9 
sparketta

I have no idea about releasing eggs..
The swimming worm thing was between 1/8-1/4 of an inch long.

Her epsom salt water is ending today - I just diluted 75% of the salted water. Hopefully she won't go back to clear poo..
Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Yeah the ES is just to help her get the dead and perhaps dying parasites out.

The different between eating eggs (sometimes they just randomly drop eggs lol) is that their poop is still solid mostly. whereas if it were parasites then it's going to be stringy and not solid. Also it's okay if part of the poop isn't completely solid or has a clear portion in it, that's normal to. I worry when the entire poop is coming out white/clear and stringy but not solid.

Have you seen the worm in a while? And how is she looking? Any new poo?