Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2013, 12:09 PM   #1 
Confishius

New rescue, I need some help.

I just got my new betta last night, and I'm kind of worried. He just sits there on the bottom of his tank, not moving for large chunks of time. I don't know if this means he's sleeping or is sick, and I really need some reassurance. He's a CT rescue. I've gotten 2 other bettas from the pet store I saved him from, and one of them was really sick, the other was fine. please help!
Confishius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #2 
alwaysaBettaLover

He might just be adjusting to his new home. I say give him some time. He might also have new tank syndrome. But don't just take my word for it; he may have something else :)
alwaysaBettaLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 01:26 PM   #3 
Confishius

thank you! I really hope you're right!
Old 12-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #4 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Did you acclimate him to his new water chemistry? Also is this tank fully Cycled or just a new tank you set up?

But yes, they are often very stressed when they first come home or move to a different tank/different room of the house. They'll either be very lazy and lounge about all day or they'll tank surf up and down the wall's all day long seemingly endless. But they will get over it in a week or two and eventually start being more fish like lol
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #5 
Confishius

yeah, I just set it up a few days ago. I did acclimate him, and he seemed fine at first. a bit curious, but not stressed. This morning he was fine and being very fishy!
on a different topic, my water gets super cloudy within a day. what can I do to fix this? I use the water thingy and change 20% every few days, but it's not working!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:13 PM   #6 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Okay, and with acclimation; you added a bit of new water to his container every few minutes or so for a while? Just wanted to make sure so I can get the full story

Okay, what size is this tank and does it have a filter? Do you know about the Nitrogen Cycle? The cloudiness is a Bacteria Bloom from your Cycle trying to start, you can get rid of it with water changes yes but it will eventually go away on it's own.

At night cover his tank with a towel/blanket, the pure darkness will help him stay very calm, darkness just calms fish right down so he'll be feeling great when morning comes!
Old 12-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #7 
zombieaddict

What is the water temp? Do you have a heater for him? With a new tank, you need to be doing more like 20%-30% water changes daily because it isn't cycled yet. It's recommended that you get a liquid test kit to keep track of ammonia, nitride, nitrate, and pH so that you monitor the levels closely. For a sickly little petshop betta, these chemical levels are more important than ever.
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #8 
Confishius

Yesterday the temp was 79F, and no I don't have a heater. Confishius's tank is a 1gal fishbowl. I'm semi-new to all this, my parents mostly took care of my previous fish because I was too young to do so. I'm doing a water change right now, just waiting for the de-chlorinator to de-chlorinate the water before I put Confishius back.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #9 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

The Water Conditioner acts fairly instantly

So you don't know about the Nitrogen Cycle then? I can explain it to you since it's pretty important.

And did you acclimate by putting in new water to his little container before plopping him in?

You don't need a heater if you live in tropical area's.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:46 PM   #10 
Confishius

sadly I live in Winnipeg, so the heater thing could be a problem. I don't really know much about the nitrogen cycle. yes, I acclimated him for almost half an hour. I really hope that was enough...