Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-25-2009, 09:17 PM   #1 
ninjafish

Breeding advice for a beginner.

Now, before I get in trouble here, I'd like to state that I do not plan on breeding any bettas for a very long time, not until I learn everything there is to know. I don't even own any females yet, but someday I would be very interested in breeding some bettas.

I posted this thread because I'd like to know the basics from people with experience, not just a Wiki page or something...

I've been a proud fish-owner since I was 6, and I remember the time we brought home a Molly that ended up being pregnant, but all her babies died because none of us knew how to care for them properly.

So it would be great if you guys could give me some tips. What's the best female for a certain kind of male? What kind of tank should be used for breeding? What do I feed the parents beforehand, and the fry? When do I separate the fry to avoid conflicts?

Thank you for reading and I'm sorry if there is already a tutorial of sorts somewhere, I am blind.
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:22 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

Here is a sticky to start you off. Andakin, MrVampire, Vikki and others can give you advice based on their experience breeding and raising fry but the info in the sticky can be a start. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...-bettas-30005/
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:49 PM   #3 
ninjafish

Thank you very much. :D
ninjafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:51 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You're welcome. I would recommend doing as much research as you can. And these guys here will give you lots of good advice, too.
Old 10-26-2009, 09:10 AM   #5 
doggyhog

I recommend Bettatalk.com BEST betta site out there! Wonderful breeding section. Check it out!
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I agree. It has some good breeding info.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #7 
HopeInHeart

A few years ago I bred alot of bettas. I wasn't very good at raising the babies, but I think the most important thing that I figured out was that the personalities of the fish mattered alot. The male had to be a little more dominant than the female, and the female had to be less dominant, but hopefully not completely shy. That's what worked for me to have a successful spawn.
HopeInHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #8 
MrVampire181

Yop just ask me or any other breeders what to do :)

The most important thing is to be sure you have verything to help the babies survive and new homes for the fish.

The problems I've had for the past MONTHS was that I wasn't conditioning them right and wasn't using any spawning enducers. So now I'm conditioning them and using Atison Betta Spa and have my first spawn in a while :)
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote