Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #1 
trackfolife

Talking Betta is so picky

Ok, I'm sure this has been posted before so I apologize in advance for those who find repetitive posts irritating

Now then, I have done some research to see what bettas like to eat and flakes and pellets are Definitely not on the list. With that said, I can't secure a constant supply of live shrimps or worms so I am stuck with dried bloodworms! Here's my problem, bloodworms are suppose to be treats and NOT regular diet...so what kind of food should I buy and how do I transition my betta into eating the new food?

An employee at petsmart said he feed his with flakes
trackfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #2 
sainthogan

You will need to fast them for up to a week. DO NOT feed them any shrimp, worms, etc., only offer a high quality pellet. You can try crushing them, soaking them in garlic, etc, but expect him not to eat them for a while. Once he gets hungry enough, he will begin to eat what is being offered. DO NOT give in!!! Also, once you have him eating pellets, don't feed treats for several weeks to a month, or you will have to start all over again. Don't worry, Betta fish can go several weeks without eating, so don't worry that he's going to starve.
Just so you know, my male won't touch anything but pellets. He can't stand bloodworms. He does like the occasional live bug though. My female LOVES flakes, and goes all crazy for them. She only eats the pellets because that is what I feed her, she gets flakes for treats after water changes. She's not too excited about the bloodworms, but she will eat them. She loves the occasional live bug as well.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:29 PM   #3 
zombieaddict

Neither of my bettas have any issues with eating their pellets. Well that's not necessarily true I guess. My younger one, Cheshire, was spitting the pellets back up because they were too big. So I started giving him the micro pellets that I got for my tetras. He gobbles it up happily. I also give them live blackworms once a day when I'm feeding my axolotls. Cheshire turns his nose up at them but the first time I gave them to Absolem, the greedy little boy gobbled so many up that his tummy swelled(I put more in his tank because the tetra and cory were batty for them too and he took advantage).
zombieaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:05 PM   #4 
trackfolife

Oh I guess I will have to toughen up on my new betta friend! Haha I hope you are right saint, don't want to kill my first betta here.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #5 
sainthogan

If it helps any, my female went a little over 2 weeks without eating when she was sick. She had a very severe case of Velvet (came with it, but my being new to Bettas, I didn't take care of her the way I should have). So, she was very unhealthy, and she still survived 2 weeks with no food. It's been over a year since then, and she's doing great.
Plus in the wild, food is not always readily available (especially during the dry season when they may be sitting in a puddle for a month or 2 waiting for the rains to come again so they can swim and breed), so their bodies are designed to eat as much as available in one sitting and then possibly go weeks without food.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #6 
zombieaddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
Plus in the wild, food is not always readily available (especially during the dry season when they may be sitting in a puddle for a month or 2 waiting for the rains to come again so they can swim and breed), so their bodies are designed to eat as much as available in one sitting and then possibly go weeks without food.

This made me laugh a little, only because my Cheshire is very particular about his feeding times. He gets himself worked into quite a little tizz if I don't feed him dinner on time and starts darting around the front of the tank. I don't think he could survive two days without food, let alone two months.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:54 PM   #7 
carlos puron

My boys eat pellets they don't like the flakes I give them dried worms once a week two of the eat them but one doesn't like them at all and on the other hand the girls in my sorority are doing more than great with flakes never had any problem about food
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 10:57 PM   #8 
trackfolife

Hmm, what brand of pellets or flakes do you guys recommend?
Old 12-01-2013, 11:02 PM   #9 
zombieaddict

I'm using Hikari Micro pellets and TetrasBetta pellets. I don't know if they're the best but they get live blackworms too and seem pretty happy.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:03 PM   #10 
carlos puron

I asked the same question looking for high quality food for my boys these are the recomendations someone inn here gave me I think he's a breederNew Life Spectrum Betta Pellets or Omega One Betta Pellets
carlos puron is offline   Reply With Quote